Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New performance boat dealership

Mattman
    What does it take to be able to start up a new dealership for a large performance boat manufacturer? Money is not an issue and the people involved have been around boating for a long time and have run large operations before (yes, they do realize there is more to it than this). The people involved will be transplanting from southern california to Lake Norman North Carolina. Just curious what types of steps need to be taken to get the ball rolling and what you would do.

OCMerrill
    What do you mean by Money is not an issue?

rlj676
    You'd need to be prepared to lose everything invested. That appears to be the most likely scenerio in the boat industry it sounds like.

Mattman
    The financial backing is there to get things started.

DeltaSigBoater
    What does it take to be able to start up a new dealership for a large performance boat manufacturer? Money is not an issue and the people involved have been around boating for a long time and have run large operations before (yes, they do realize there is more to it than this). The people involved will be transplanting from southern california to Lake Norman North Carolina. Just curious what types of steps need to be taken to get the ball rolling and what you would do.
    Well if money is not an issue that you just overcame your 1st obstacle.
    Setup a business according to local, state, and federal laws.
    Apply for financing aka flooring through, one of the major finance companies, GE Capital, Bank of America, etc.
    Before the manufacture says yes, find a place of business to accommodate a boat dealership. Closer to the water the better! Do not sign a lease until you have the dealer agreement signed.
    Find a manufacture that is not currently represented in that market place. Then talk to them about becoming a dealer.
    If all else fails buy somebody else out!

OCMerrill
    Do you have the Large Boat Performance manufacturer on board already?
    I would say this is the pace to start.
    Also...
    Business plan...form one up. There are companies that can develop one using all the input from the folks you have to tap from.
    You also need some finance companies on board also.
    I would do this before I rented a building and moved a bunch of folks but I am a small business owner with 1/2 dozen employees. What your talking here I could never handle.
    It truly does take very patient, special breed of peeps to launch something like that. There will be very little if no instant gratification.

OCMerrill
    I like this idea.

Mattman
    Setup a business according to local, state, and federal laws.
    Apply for financing aka flooring through, one of the major finance companies, GE Capital, Bank of America, etc.
    Before the manufacture says yes, find a place of business to accommodate a boat dealership. Closer to the water the better! Do not sign a lease until you have the dealer agreement signed.
    Find a manufacture that is not currently represented in that market place. Then talk to them about becoming a dealer.
    Next question would be how do you approach a dealer to let them know you want to sell their boats? Let's say you have owned several boats of a particular dealer or dealers and love their products and know a ton about them. I assume this can come into play?

DeltaSigBoater
    Next question would be how do you approach a dealer to let them know you want to sell their boats? Let's say you have owned several boats of a particular dealer or dealers and love their products and know a ton about them. I assume this can come into play?
    A dealer and manufacture are 2 different things. Dealers sell the boats that a manufacture builds.
    Loving a manufacture’s product, and having product knowledge shows brand loyalty, it doesn’t really show enough commitment to have the manufacture grant you a dealer agreement.
    If you want to become a dealer of a particular manufacture, then contact said manufacture, asked to speak with the person in charge of their dealer network. Get their all their info that you can, email, direct line, cell phone, etc.
    Before you setup anything make sure you’ve done your homework, mission statement of business, business plan, resumes & financial statements of all parties involved, procurement of pending dealer location, business license, flooring, market research, product knowledge, have answers to possible questions that they will ask, and the like.
    If you feel that this is a viable business then ASAP set up a meeting with the manufacture at there facility. Manufactures get 100’s of dealer inquiries a year, you have to make them realize that you are not some jerkoff the street who just wants to play around in boats.
    If you feel comfortable PM me the name of the manufacture that you are interested in, right now it’s kind of vague.

BadKachina
    Yeah, and if you really feel comfortable pm your soc. and all your bank account info and I'll let you know if money will be an issue.
    Oh and don't forget your dob., and mothers maiden name.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast