Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cleared to Land...!

Jbb
    Crosswind Landing Testing - This little item shows the Boeing factory determining the demonstrated crosswind landing limits on the 777 and the 747SP. The engineers make educated guesses, but then the test crews have to go actually prove the numbers. They sneak off to Brazil to do these tests at a certain remote BAF airbase famous for its continual atrocious crosswinds... Should the gear sideloads be excessive and fold one up, there is nobody there to take nasty pix for the Airbus guys to wave around in the press. This is some good piloting in getting these planes down. It comes close to "incredible". Note the rudder action on landing. w00t!
    Damm.... (http://forums.ehowa.com/wmVS/crosswindlandings.wmv)

Sleek-Jet
    They need a little more rudder...

LAFD
    thats some awesome flying that would be a trip to be a passenger on the plane..

Debbolas
    K, I'm a girl
    (non-flying)
    why are they trying to land the planes sideways?
    Did ya see the flex in the tail?! :jawdrop:

Sleek-Jet
    K, I'm a girl
    (non-flying)
    They are testing the side loading on the landing gear... they have to be able to withstand a certin amount of side loading to meet certification requirements.

Debbolas
    side loading, do you mean how much torque the landing gear can stand.....sideways? Is that why they have three wheels instead of two?

Sleek-Jet
    side loading, do you mean how much torque the landing gear can stand.....sideways? Is that why they have three wheels instead of two?
    Yes... how much torque the gear can withstand while moving sideways.
    The reason there are 3 sets of wheels is the weight of the airplane.

Debbolas
    Thank you!

Mardonzi
    Ever watched a BUFF do a crosswind landing???

SMFRiverRat
    K, I'm a girl
    (non-flying)
    The reason is to actually have a "max demonstrated x-wind" landing speed . Max demonstrated crosswind is just that, the maximum that the test pilots landed in during the certification of the aircraft. A lot of certification is done at Edwards Air Force Base. The lake bed is used so they can get a true 90 degrees to the direction of landing. The speed can and will usually go down if certian items are not functioning (mel or cdl). I.E. -Anti-skid or spoilerons.
    In most airline operations, we are usually heading to an alternate if this wind is exceeded. We still might go "take a look" an hope that the winds die off a bit at arrival time. Most winds are never actually 90 degrees to the runway and we can figure out what they are. The max speed is not a limit and we can land but then we become test pilots of sort. I am not going to try that with a jet full of passengers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast