Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem hooking up in second&third

Blown in Big Bear Lake
    My first post, I have a 1984 Howard 21ft Custom open bow, it has a Blown 496 with all the goods in it so I am told. Roller cam, rockers, H beam rods, JE pistons,Scat steel crank 8 1/2 to 1 comp. Im not that knowledgable yet with all this stuff so I took the motor builders advice on what to put in it. I do like to go fast and for now I think this set up should do. The blower is a 671 or 871 Im not sure how to tell and it says EP on it near the pully. Is this for Ericson Performance? The intake is a Cragar with a duel spring burst pannel, carbs I believe to be 660 Predators The v drive is a champion 500 I think ( not sure what gears yet) with a turbo 400 tranny it has a steel prop that is 11 1/2 in diameter with 16 pitch, In first gear the boat comes out of the hole very well but its not like I want to burry it comming out anyway at about 55 mph and 5500 rpm I shift to second and it seems to want to cavitate the prop I really want to get this thing into second and hammer it but dont want to spin a bearing or something by over reving. I am told that the motor is good to 6300 rpms so I have a 5500 chip my msd 6AL to prolong that terrible day as long as I can I know if the prop cavitates under throttle it can still rev past the limmiter and do dammage. Am I missing something? I am at around 7,000 ft in Big Bear Lake and was told with 850hp prop shouldnt matter. Is third gear even a possibility or just a wish?

CampbellCarl
    Don't have a lot of knowledge regarding trans in v-drives but I know that alot of guys launch out of the hole in 2nd then shift to 3rd. Some use 1st only in the no-wake zone or for docking. Have you tried 2nd for holeshot?
    CC

Unchained
    Something doesn't sound right with your description.
    I don't believe you could take 1st to 55 mph even if you had 50% gears.
    In 2nd gear maybe. My boat won't even plane in first turning 32 % gears.
    Turn the shafts and count the revolutions so you can determine your gear ratio.

Blown in Big Bear Lake
    I dont get it either but the furthest shift position away from park should be first and that is where I start from to about 5,500 rpms then I try to shift and it seems to just spin the prop to fast, I can take off in second but at about 5,500 rpms it only feels like 30 mph or so. 3rd or drive if you may is not even usible unless in a cove or 5mph it almost seems like shift pattern is in backwards although reverse is just below park then nuetral drive,2nd, 1st. When I turn the drive shaft one full revolution how much should the prop shaft turn and what is the formula to calc the overdrive %

djunkie
    I dont get it either but the furthest shift position away from park should be first and that is where I start from to about 5,500 rpms then I try to shift and it seems to just spin the prop to fast, I can take off in second but at about 5,500 rpms it only feels like 30 mph or so. 3rd or drive if you may is not even usible unless in a cove or 5mph it almost seems like shift pattern is in backwards although reverse is just below park then nuetral drive,2nd, 1st. When I turn the drive shaft one full revolution how much should the prop shaft turn and what is the formula to calc the overdrive %
    You may have just answered your own question. Most that I know of are reverse patterns in the trans. Park, reverse, neutral, 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

ol guy
    From the sounds of it you have a very tall gear in your'e v-drive, Probably 40 percent to get that out of first. Second thing is you need a larger prop!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would recomend a 12-14 3 blade or a 12-16 3 blade, with that hp you are doing burnouts at half track. If you leave in second gear the situation will probably be worse.Its like putting a 9 inch tire under a 600 horse motor. Good luck, M

coolchange
    You may have just answered your own question. Most that I know of are reverse patterns in the trans. Park, reverse, neutral, 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
    YA thats pretty funny, you have a reverse pattern valve body. easy mistake to make.

palhal
    11 1/2" dia is way to small for a heavy 21ft Howard. Its like paddling a canoe with a teaspoon. You need a 12 5/8" to 13" dia 3/B then worry about your gears if you still have a problem.-----PALHAL

Marty Gras
    Bull Shit!

ol guy
    I call bullsh@t on your'e bullsh@t and raise

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast