Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tanks

myoung
    I was just noticing your fills are located in the middle of your tanks. I'm wondering if you ever have any kind of problems with that set-up leaking through the caps while under way, or any other issues like when topping off or something.:idea:

blown428fe
    ****IN A man, that is the shit. Very impressed.

I clear coated the tanks today.Man do they look good.I will try to post a pic tomarrow,but not sure You will be able to tell....Hal

BlueNun
    I have the same tanks more or less with about 12 pounds of glue on em. What did you use to strip em and clean em up with??

BlueNun;
    I tried a little bit of every thing. I used gasoline,acetone,laquer thinner.
    I think the gasoline took a majority of the top layer off,then acetone worked out pretty well....Hal

If any one knows what this metal finishing techniuqe is called or has experiance with it ,or knows where I can find info on it ,please let me know......Hal
    Hal, are you looking for the term Engine Turned? This was a popular look back it the good old days for dash inserts.
    There's probably a lot on the net. Type that in and see if that's the term you're looking for.
    Regardless, you do really nice work. You coming up to Washington anytime soon so you can do my tanks too?

GAWnCA
    Hal, are you looking for the term Engine Turned? This was a popular look back it the good old days for dash inserts.
    There's probably a lot on the net. Type that in and see if that's the term you're looking for.
    Regardless, you do really nice work. You coming up to Washington anytime soon so you can do my tanks too?
    Wasn't there also one called a milled finish? It basically used a drill with sand paper on a pad and then ran across the surface at a constant speed in one direction and then reversed direction, over lapping the first pass. I think you used a very light touch so the drill and pad didn't take off in its own path.

maxwedge
    I think that looks really good. How did you get that look?

DeltaSigBoater
    Cool

ck7684
    Yup, engine turned. I used to have a kit for doing this but never got to trying it out. It had a bit with a rubber deal that had an ingrained grit and was meant to be used with a drill press. They should be readily available someplace...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast