Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stringers?

jetboat
    installing bucket seats on a buddys boat,wondering whats the best way,the currant stringers stop in front of the motor.either extend them to the front,or build boxes to bolt to.need thoughts .will start monday.also this is a taylor with a bone stock 460 ford.and stock je pump.

468miller
    the right way would be to make it a full stringer boat i would think........:idea:

jetboat
    does the foot pedal interfear with the stringer?i know it will go on thr outside of the stringer.

468miller
    nope my millers full stringer.......

jetboat
    guess your helping make up my mind.much better for installing seats,thanks.

468miller
    i think its the way to go, some may disagree, makes the boat stronger, easier to mount seat, i personally like them........

Jetboat, while full length stringers are considered "stronger", it is not a reasonable option to convert you boat over just to make seat mounting "easier". It is a MAJOR, and I repeat MAJOR, undertaking. As in totally gut the boat and start over. Not an afternoon project.
    Boats like yours, with short stringers and a flat floor, typically mounted the seating on top of wooden bases attached to the floor.

ol guy
    Oldsquirter is right the old Taylor is a thick bottom boat and the adding full stringers to that boat will add pounds not any strength to the boat, build some boxes and then glass them to the bottom and build your'e seats from there. Thats the way it was down back in the day and thats assuming its a double bottom boat.

Longstr
    First of all if you got an SJ make them like this these are from SJ templates... I built the seats in a matter of a few hrs, fiberglass them up all http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...0/DSCN0669.jpg
    Here it is all covered
    http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...0/DSCN0761.jpg

maxwedge
    Longstr-I really like the way the seats look going all the way to the floor like that, since my Sidewinder has the floor made the same way. That would be easier and lighter than the way I made mine with the seats sitting on 2x4 pedastools that were fiberglassed to the floor, but I have a couple questions.
    If you fiberglass that seat to the floor, how did you upholster it? and if you don't fiberglass it to the floor, how do you keep the plywood from soaking up water and rotting out along the bottom edges?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast