Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Are your kids in public school???

RiverToysJas
    Here's the complete history of the bill.... (http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postq...use=B&site=sen) I have not read through it yet though....
    RTJas

lalhc
    It is not all the schools fault either. Parents are partly to blame for the problems in public schools because too many of them use it as a babysitter...
    Ding, ding, ding! The above statement is so true. As a parent w/two boys in public schools, I totally agree that parent involvement is so important. Both my parents never attended a 4 year college, but as a Mexican youth growing up in the 70's and 80's they pushed me to over exceed in school. I'm doing the same things w/my kids (13 & 9) now. Just this weekend my 13 year old son and I visited a local University so he can see what college campus life is about. Too many parents expect too much out of public schools, and most of the teachers are bogged down w/standardized testing and focusing on low students. I also think too many kids are starting school too young. My wife teaches kindergarten and half of her students are turning 5 years old this school year. Kids should be at least 5 years old by Oct 31 to start kindergarten - especially boys. Yes, there are problems in public schools, but it is the parents responsibility to make sure their kids are getting the most out of their education.

AirtimeLavey
    Public Schools are just fine...Hell, I probably know many more F'ed up "Sheltered" Private Schools kids than F'ed up Public School kids. The problem is PARENTING.
    Yep. I've found this to be true in many, many cases. There are some outstanding public schools out there. Can't lump them all together and say they produce the same results. My kids are in public. Both are A students, and in GATE. Both are doing very well while also getting real life exposure to societal diversity, although they are in more "upscale" communities. It's significantly the parents that will make the difference. We're very involved and understand the impact of role-modeling. Kids learn what they live.

MKEELINE
    This is for public and PRIVATE schools.

thatguy
    I don't have kids, so I don't have a dog in this fight....and I am fall on the conservative side of things....but did anyone else get the feeling that article was a little right wing biased and that the website was little christian propaganda site...
    Well, It IS B&B, after all. And from the sounds of his posts He's hankering for some aggressive debate. What up B ? Got some anger to get rid of? I'm here for ya' Bro!
    Managed to get some gay rights thrown in to boot!
    Actually, public schools can be good or bad. I think the whole parenting thing becomes more important as the quality of the school, and it's location, deteriorates. You will have to be more involved as the school and other kids sort of work against you.
    Tommy

OCMerrill
    And....do you teach your kids sport fishing /blowjobs in home school?
    I love our kids school....California Distinguished & Blue ribbon. Both of my boys are straight A students as well as club soccer players. Parents are responsible for how their children turn out. I think mine are doing just fine....& that because my husband & I work very hard at keeping them under control & working with them.
    As for the bathroon statement...not a tru statement here at our childrens school.
    Most of our schools in South OC are fantastic schools. Saddleback and Capo strive hard to stay top of the list in CA.
    Our kids attend public school. I attended a public school.
    I wonder who attended the school of dumbass?

boatsnblondes
    Well, It IS B&B, after all. And from the sounds of his posts He's hankering for some aggressive debate. What up B ? Got some anger to get rid of? I'm here for ya' Bro!
    Managed to get some gay rights thrown in to boot!
    Actually, public schools can be good or bad. I think the whole parenting thing becomes more important as the quality of the school, and it's location, deteriorates. You will have to be more involved as the school and other kids sort of work against you.
    Tommy
    Again, everyone is jumping on the GOOD/BAD parents bandwagon, that is NOT what I intended for you guys to think about here....neither was it to be about good/bad on the public school system...I am just trying to figure out, in the face of this new bill, why ANY of you still would support a system like this if you could help it...my PS down the street here is a GREAT school, but if this is the environment that my kids would be subjected to, why would I put them in there?? Why would any of you???

pixilatedpussy
    Most of our schools in South OC are fantastic schools. Saddleback and Capo strive hard to stay top of the list in CA.
    Our kids attend public school. I attended a public school.
    I wonder who attended the school of dumbass?
    I absolutely agree!

ChumpChange
    gay rights lobbyists have forced this down our throats
    I don't know about others on this board but gay rights lobbyists haven't put anything down my throat. :220v: Keep what you do in your own time to yourself.

MKEELINE
    Again, I believe this bill pertains to BOTH public and private schools. Do you plan on home schooling?

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast