Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What If....

dirty old man
    Al Gore is on to something? He may not be 100%, but we definately are in trouble here

pw_Tony
    If he didn't have his head up his ass then maybe I would worry a little

Sleek-Jet
    Then there should be a lot more boats for sale in the Spam section...
    Here's my problem with all of this talk...
    The Earth's climate has changed many times in the past, drastically and quickly at times. Man wasn't around back then, or at least not in the numbers we are know... yet the climate changed. How can someone like Al Gore, who is nothing more than a career politician, be in a posistion to tell us that we, as a human race, can have that large of an impact on the environment. :idea: Because he made a flashy, slick movie??
    It's about guilt... Al Gore and his bunch feel guilty about the American way of life. They know that they can't just come out and tell us to stop living the way we do without a good reason. Scarring the bejebus out of everyone with the environment works pretty well.
    And since most people aren't motivated enough to do their own research, and try to decide for themselves what's going on, they believe what ever hollywood and the media tells them.
    If Al Gore was really serious... he'd stop flying around the world at the drop of a hat, sell his house, and live a much simplier life style. That would speak volumes. But he doesn't... why?? In todays multi-media world, he could get his message out just as easily and effectively on through other means rather than personal appearances, but he doesn't...
    Al Gore wants you to stop living your life... he doesn't want to stop living his.
    And here is my view... if the damage to the enviroment is such that the changes are outpacing anyone's theories/guesses, how are we going to stop it?? By switching to flourecent light bulbs?? You want to make a dent in green house gasses, stop burning fossil fuels to generate electricity. Simple as that. But no one wants a Nuke plant in their back yard and the lights go out when the sun goes down with Solar.

Racey
    I don't know if it's right or wrong, warming or not but here's the way i look at it:
    a) I can't change the world overnight or even in a lifetime :idea:
    b) I'm not going to stop boating, duning, riding dirtbikes, or driving my truck
    c) I'm not going to switch to some kind of pig outboard to lower emissions, BBC all the way, power to burn
    d) I'll be dead before the world sees any real change
    e) I'm gonna use every drop of gasoline i can before someone else does :devil:
    f) I'm not gonna live my life worrying about something i have no control over!

dirty old man
    One of the news stations reported now we're in a 500 year drought. What are the looking at, tree rings? I don't think our native Indians were keeping records back then, unless its carved into caves at Lake Powell

cdog
    Build a new nuke power plant to power a big desalination plant to refill all the reservoirs and reduce the rising coastal waters. Turn AZ into a tropical paradise.
    Easy Fix!
    ItÂ’s too early to tell. Some people need someone to blame for everything. Darwin had it correct with only the strong survive.

pw_Tony
    One of the news stations reported now we're in a 500 year drought. What are the looking at, tree rings? I don't think our native Indians were keeping records back then, unless its carved into caves at Lake Powell
    500 Years to a planet is nothing, it's a blip. Maybe a droubt over 10,000 years might be a LITTLE something, but 500 years is nothing. Scientist can tell what our planet's temperature was thousands of years ago, due to reading long ice tubes pulled up from the artic. Facts don't lie, but indians maybe

Sleek-Jet
    One hypothysis of what happened to the people inhabiting the Southwest part of Colorado and Southeastern Utah (cliff dwellers) is that a prolonged drought (yes it's happened before, who'd a thunk it), pushed them south into what is now New Mexico on Northwestern Arizona.
    The supporting evidence is tree rings... seriously.
    This all happened about the time of Columbus, so about 500 years ago.

spectratoad
    We humans have got to be the most self blaming species around.If it is happening and we can't control it there must be something we are doing that we need to fix.
    This is all just a cycle in the earth and we can't fix or change it. I look at is a whatever we are putting back into the atmosphere for the most part came out of the atmosphere or the soil so how could that be bad. I know chemicals comps are different but it is a organic based.
    I am all for doing whatever we can to take better care of our little blue marble and make it better and more healthy. Even our existance as humans is a mere blip on the earth's time scale. We have no say so in how this all shakes out so we can only better ourselves and the way we take care of our environment.

AirtimeLavey
    Mostly, it shows how gullible we humans are. We will believe almost any story whether truely based in fact or just speculation and rumor, whatever suits our needs and requires the least amount of effort and that puts responsibility on someone or something else. Most don't want to put the effort into really looking at things from other perspectives.
    I haven't really looked into the G.W. thing enough to state an opinion, but I have seen and read that some of the "climate change" they're talking about is about 1 degree of warming in the artic, over the next 100 years. I'm not too worried, but I will be looking at it more in depth as time goes on. It is something worth understanding.
    Otherwise, like RE, it's cyclical. It will go down (get colder) and it will come back up (get hotter). The rest is drama... The hypocracy is hard to accept with Gore as it is with many evangelists....flying around in their private jets, living in their immense estates. I'd give them more credibility if they practiced what they preach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast