Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer help needed......

AntRant
    Heres some pics of my trailer. Are the bunks in the right place? Is this why my boat is so hard to get on the trailer and why it slips to the side (on a angle rite on the fender)
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/uvs030207-003.JPG[/img]
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/uvs030207-001.JPG[/img]
    Since they are not adjustable i would have to cut them out. How do i set it up for new mounts/bunks? Jack the boat off the trailer slightly? Any advise would be great. Anthony

Mandelon
    Those pics are a little hard to decipher.. Are the bunks right under the strakes??? That doesn't seem right to me....I think the bunks should be just under them, on the hull not having the boat resting on the strakes.
    How do you get the boat off?? Put it in the water!
    [ February 08, 2003, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

your trailer must of been set up for a different hull at one time you could use a floor jack and lift the boat up and block it then cut off the bunks and move them down. by the looks of it you should have two long bunks on the inside and two short ones on the outside. you can go to west marine and buy the brackets to mount the bunks to the trailer. good luck pat(slotracer)

AntRant
    Sorry for the dark pics, but getting the boat out of the garage is a hasle with all the winter stuff in the way. Yes the bunks right under the strakes. If i put the boat in the water how am i going to get the right hight and angle. Besides right now we have about 12"-20" of ice on the lakes so it will be awile befor the boat can go in the water.

AntRant
    how big of a piece of wood should i put on the jack when i go to lift it up?

i used a 2x4 that was about a foot long put a towel on it i put it under that back first side to side then blocked up the back on the trailer with a couple of 4x10's on each side then i lifted the front with the 2x4 front to back with the floor jack and blocked up the front using some more 4x's it worked great took me couple of hours all together but boat rides great with no problems i did it in my driveway. good luck pat(slotracer)

AntRant
    How long should the long bunks be and how short should the short ones be?

i would have to check but i think the long ones go from the back cross member to about 6 inches past the front cross member and the short ones go from the back cross member to the middle cross member. make sure on the long ones you have a support bracket in the middle also. i used 2x6's on the long ones and 2x4's on the short ones.
    pat(slotracer)

ezstriper
    Looks like to me you cut the bunk brakets off(in the center)make some adapter plates, move your existing bunks and weld(if you have the means or
    bolt with some good grade bolts)in the right position, if bolting you could even make them have some adjustibility in them. good luck, Rob..

the problem with welding them is if you get the bottom too hot you might cause damage. west marine has galv. brackets that just bolt on with clamps. i used a grinder to cut my old ones off then just put on the new brackets and bolted the bunks to them. pat(slotracer)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast