Thread: vibration

burning cole
    I have read through some of the older threads on this topic, but none really addressed the price. I have a vibration that I picked up this past weekend. It is from idle through WOT. It feels like it goes away the faster you go but if you put your hands on the deck you can feel the vibration. I was told that it could be a u-joint or thrust bearing( Where is this) THere is nothing stuck in the pump. If you had to replace the two things above, how much do you think that it would cost? Thanks in advance. YOu guys are always really helpful.

77charger
    your u joints are between the motor and the pump(most likely cause of the vibes)The thrust bearing is located in the front part of ther pump housing (where the driveshaft/u joints conect)

burning cole
    do you have to remove the pump to replace any of these devices?

77charger
    For the u joints no as for the bearings on a berk i am not sure but i would think the bowl would have to come out so that you can remove the shaft since the bearing is pressed onto the shaft and if you go this far you might as well do a pump overhaul.

spectratoad
    I just replaced my thrust bearing and did pull the pump. You have to pull the shaft so however that goes. I just pulled the pump and took it down and had the guy blueprint and fix.
    But if it goes away the faster you go it sounds like a good reason to dump more money into the motor and go faster, or have the wife/girlfriend sit on the deck! (boaters foreplay) eek!
    [ October 17, 2002, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: spectratoad ]

bigerich
    This is in no way a sure thing, but here is the trouble we had in a boat with a similar vibration. The yoke on the drive shaft and some how become "oversized", it caused a similar vibration, going away at higher revs. What we did to fix this was to heat the yoke, which shrunk the hole and the vibration was gone. We were able to do this without removing the motor. Might be one more thing to check.

burning cole
    77charger:
    For the u joints no as for the bearings on a berk i am not sure but i would think the bowl would have to come out so that you can remove the shaft since the bearing is pressed onto the shaft and if you go this far you might as well do a pump overhaul.I just had the pump rebuilt in April of 2001. So it has just one season on it. I would hope that it is not the something wrong with the pump. Is there anyone that you guys would reccommend to check this out, I would like to get another opinion. The guy I take it to is good but it is pretty expensive!

BBTAHITI
    Are you SURE it's the pump? If the vibration is there without a load on the engine, I would pull the coupler. Fire up the engine and see if the vibration is still there. If so, it's not pump. If not, well, you've already started pulling it out, so....
    My .02
    BBT

bajaruner
    To pick up a sudden vibration all the way through the RPM range would be something more like a rock stuck in the impeller, or a harmonic balancer that spun the outer ring. If it came on slowly I could see it being the U-joint, or loose drive coupling. All these things can make bad vibes.
    [ October 18, 2002, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: bajaruner ]

burning cole
    bajaruner:
    To pick up a sudden vibration all the way through the RPM range would be something more like a rock stuck in the impeller, or a harmonic balancer that spun the outer ring. If it came on slowly I could see it being the U-joint, or loose drive coupling. All these things can make bad vibes.From what I can tell from previous experiences with this pump is that if I get anything in the pump I can feel it. There would also be cavitation and that is not happening. How do I go about checking this stuff? I know how to check the pump but what about the U-Joint and drive coupling?