Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Of A Jet Can You Polish?

I've already painted the bowl and the suction housing after sand blasting from the diverter back i could tell it was aluminum anyway is there a reason this might not be a good idea(polishing)

RICHARD TILL
    only reason i have`nt polished mine is all that elbow grease it would take. most of the better looking pumps are totally polished.

GAWnCA
    only reason i have`nt polished mine is all that elbow grease it would take. most of the better looking pumps are totally polished.
    Man you've got that right. If you look at the castings, they are really rough and would take a lot of Dremel grinding before you ever think about sanding and the polishing. Paint hide a lot of the sins of the mfg.

It's all aluminum? For now I'm just thinkin polishing from the diverter back(and the split part of the split bowl) there's a shop here in S.L.C. Who polishes cheap. I'm thinkin 50 bucks max ,I spent that and then some at he paint store the other day and then some

blownrat
    had my berkley striped polished out years back, big mistake, looks great when freshly done, but the water turns the pump black in one weekend on the water. iam doing a silver powder coat next time the pumps out of the boat.

jimsplace
    I saw a pump the other day that was probably powder-coated, I am not certain though, that was pewter. It looked really nice. I have also seen polished ones that seemed to hold their shine for quit a while. Maybe it depend on the water you run it in.

GAWnCA
    Now powder coating would be a great idea. The preparation is about as intense as getting it ready to polish but I think in the long run you would have a more durable finish and you can color it whatever you like. Maybe if you polished the pump you could then apply a clear powder coating that would maintain it's beauty. I guess you could have it anodized as well.

RVRBUM2
    A Friend Of Mine Had His Polished And Like Was Said Above It Looks Great Till It Hits The Water , Then It Starts To Oxidize Real Quik Puttin A Clear Over It Might Work Until The Clear Starts To Yellow , Im Thinkin Powder Coating Is The Way To Go They Have A Allmost Chrome That Looks Cool , Or Ceramic Coat Might Be A Option Also

Boostedballs
    I would start polishing the inside to maybe make it flow better and give you an idea of how much elbow grease it would take to get the whole thing done. If you give up halfway through, nobody will notice.
    But- check this out as an alternative to painting, plating or powdercoating.
    Gibbs Brand!?? Anyone ever use it?
    I've never used it but I'm gunna get a can of it to test on some bare metal parts I have laying around. Here's a link about it: http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/
    I think it's worth a try.

Thanks everyone, for the input. The more i think about it, it would look better either all painted or all polished and I'm already 1/2 painted I'll probably just do that. That gibbs looked interesting you'll have to let us know if it works boosted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast