Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Charging an Optima Battery help?

2Driver
    Maybe I'm making to much out of this but before I switch to Blue top Optimas I need to settle on this whole sensitivey to charging crap. The OPtima site indicates I must charge between 13.8-15 volts 10 amp max?
    I have a sears 12 volt automatic charger that pumps out 2, 10 or 50 Amps. So can I use that on the 10 amp switch?
    http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...entPar.0001.Co lumnPar.0005.File.tmp/D34M_082104.pdf
    Ive just heard of a number of peeps frying their Optimas.
    Thanks

chub
    10 amps MAX. that's the key word here. Use the 2 amp setting and it will be fine. Speaking of batteries, if I e-mail you some battery pics can you post them? I'm challenged. :cry:

2Driver
    I can post them. It really is pretty easy, have you tried. Do you just want them posted or entered somewhere?

chub
    Just posted here. I'm clueless at this point. They are of a failure that occurred at a not to be mentioned facility.

Havasu_Dreamin
    Just posted here. I'm clueless at this point. They are of a failure that occurred at a not to be mentioned facility.
    DOH! No es bueno mi amigo.....

rivercrazy
    Yup. Keep it under 10 amps and those Optima's will be very happy. I'd consider investing in a good quality 3 stage automatic charger as well.
    I've had 3 blue tops for 6 seasons and they are still going like brand new. Even with a 3 amplifer stereo.

Not So Fast
    I too had this question and here is what I found out from the maker of my charger (has auto shut off) and Optima. You are safe at the 10 amp setting but if you can get by with the 2 amp setting it's better (slower is best?) I charge my batteries after every outing usually overnight and no problemos yet. Hope this helps. NSF

BajaMike
    I have 2 Optima and 3 Odesseys on my boat along with a charger under the hatch. When I get to the dock at night I plug it in with the Perko switch set for all. While away and the boat is in the garage I keep it plugged in all winter, etc. I am going on 3 years now with no failures. Here is what I use for charging: http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-...nk/DP15-2.html
    Tom.... $259 for a battery charger??
    :rollside: :rollside:
    Dual Pro PS 12/24V 15 A 2 Bank Waterproof Charger # DP15/2
    Part: DP15-2
    Price: $259.00
    Availability: In Stock
    I got one for $89 at Walmart..... :idea:
    :rollside:

BajaMike
    Mike...Mine and yours' are two different animals. Mine has two banks and spreads the 30 amps (15 amps for both banks) over the 5 batteries in parallel. At least if I understand it properly. One of those $89. units aren't going to charge all 5 of my batteries overnight after a long day on the water bumping the tunes. It is water proof (hopefully not an issue) and is munted under my hatch. It is of a much higher quality than your unit.
    I know Tom.......I was joking.... :argue: and I only have one battery.... :yuk:
    :rollside: :rollside:

chub
    OKAY! will someone help with the pics. This stuff is way interesting and on topic here!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast