Thread: Water bypass valve

Ray Hamel
    Has anyone had experience with the water pressure bypass valve sold by Rex Marine. It is a NO. 530 manufactured by Watts Regulator Co. When I talked to the order department at Rex, he told me it would regulate between 10 to 25 pounds pressure. The Watts site shows a 50 to 175 pound range. I'm trying to keep the water out of my oil and don't want to pull the engine and change gaskets again!!!!
    Does anyone know if this thing actually works? If not, I am going to return it.
    Any info on making a dedision would be appreciated. Haven't got the bottom wet yet this year, don't want to do a repeat next summer!

Nubbs
    They probably just changed the spring in it.

Nubbs:
    They probably just changed the spring in it. You are correct
    Set it for 15 to 18 lbs with your gauge and you're good to go.
    [ August 15, 2003, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

Ray Hamel
    Thanks, Rexone!
    When you say "gauge", do you mean the twist adjustment on the valve body or do I need to install a dial to read the valve setting?????
    This jet stuff is new to me.

You should actually read it with a gauge (not the twist adjustment on the valve), even if just installed temporarily to adjust the valve. Many boats these days install water pressure gauges permanently on the dash, we sell alot of them. Not a bad idea either for a boat that does create excessive pressure. If you have a gauge you know exactly what the bypass valve is doing, whether it's adequate, (whether it gets plugged up with crap), etc. Just a thought. Need any assistance just send a PM or call Bob or Tom here. Good luck with it.
    [ August 16, 2003, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

TX Daytona
    Mike,
    I may be interested in one of those myself, but how is it listed on your products list? I can't find it.

I don't think it's up on the website yet. It's a part number SC 100 if you order. Thanx
    Here's a pic of it