Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impeller ??

Sleek-Jet
    I don't want to start a big motor v. small motor debate, but... I am putting an Olds 350 in my 72 Sleek Rebel. The boat previously had a 455, and I believe that I have an "A" Jacuzzi impeller (I have a WJ Jacuzzi). The motor's peak torque will be around 5000 - 5500 rpm. I'm not looking for a drag boat, just a nice cruiser/play boat... lots of Lake Powell time with a few trips to the river a year. wink
    Will an "A" impeller allow the engine work well, or do I need to budget a different impeller?

Jungle Boy
    Try the "A" impeller first and see where the engine will pull it. If you are not happy with it, then just get that one cut down. No need to buy another one. I don't know how much they charge there for the cut down, but the shop that I use charges about 20 bucks.

Sleek-Jet
    Jungle Boy:
    Try the "A" impeller first and see where the engine will pull it. If you are not happy with it, then just get that one cut down. No need to buy another one. I don't know how much they charge there for the cut down, but the shop that I use charges about 20 bucks. By cut down, do you mean they make the diameter of the impeller smaller, or do the change the pitch of the blades??
    [ February 07, 2003, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: Sleek-Jet ]

Jungle Boy
    A photo would be helpful here guys. The blades on the back side of impeller get cut back about 1/4 to 3/8 inch. It would be best if you were to take it to a jetboat shop in your area. They can show you and recommend a machinist for the job if they don't do it. It's not a big job.

miller19j
    Here you go

Sleek-Jet
    OK, I see what you're talking about. As for taking it to a jet boat shop... there are none around here that I know of.
    Probably will have call someone in Albequerque or Grand Junction. Living in the sticks is fun!!
    Thanks for you help guys!
    [ February 07, 2003, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Sleek-Jet ]

jim@pj
    The 350 olds is a good motor, I have done a few. About your impeller on that jacuzzi WJ. I think when you are all said and done you will end up with a B cut. It really depends on what you are trying to do and what cam you will have in the motor. A B will give you more pull through out the RPM range and more speed on the top end but you will be running a higher RPM to do it. I know jet boaters and eventually you will want more. You can get upgrade kits if you want to spend the bucks. These kits add all of the latest advantages of current technology but you will still be stuck with the inferior thrust bearing lip seal assembly so keep your thrust bearing greased. Good Luck. If you want more info check my web site and give me a call. WWW.performancejet.com Jim

malcolm
    Or you could trade with me!
    I've got a B and need an A for the big block.

Sleek-Jet
    jim@pj:
    The 350 olds is a good motor, I have done a few. About your impeller on that jacuzzi WJ. I think when you are all said and done you will end up with a B cut. It really depends on what you are trying to do and what cam you will have in the motor. A B will give you more pull through out the RPM range and more speed on the top end but you will be running a higher RPM to do it. I know jet boaters and eventually you will want more. You can get upgrade kits if you want to spend the bucks. These kits add all of the latest advantages of current technology but you will still be stuck with the inferior thrust bearing lip seal assembly so keep your thrust bearing greased. Good Luck. If you want more info check my web site and give me a call. WWW.performancejet.com Jim Thanks for the tips Jim. At this point, I'll just have to see what happens. Currently the motor is out of the boat, so it is going to be a while untill I can see what happens when the rubber meets the road, so to speek. I'll keep your website bookmarked though. After all, isn't this about spending excess income?
    Malcom, that might be a possibility, but it's going to be a while till I now for sure. You have the 455 ready to go in the boat yet?
    I'll keep everyone updated with posts.
    Thanks again everyone.

73SangerSuperJet
    Hey sleek, can you post some pics of your hull? I am tryin to figure out if I have a sleek. Did they make them with a berk?
    Thanks
    Louis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast