Thread: Hey Marty Gras

superdave013
    George, I thought I would respond here as to not get Unchaind's strut thread off topic.
    When I asked you if mind listing some of these championships you have won I was not flaming you. Far from it. I love hearing about the glory days as I missed most of it. (And what I didn't miss I still never got close to a championship of my own) Old Rigger shares some of the best stories.
    Here is some of his latest. http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167761
    I know I'm not the only one that enjoys reading Old Riggers stuff. And with all you have done and your colorfull writing style yours can be a real hoot to read as well. Feel free to post more of that stuff.
    And yes, I do remember both of those guys you listed. I was racing NJBA at the time and I clearly remember Gary Taylor's boat and that he always had a real clean program. And yes, from what I see he's is still doing it today.

Marty Gras
    Dave, it's not you! Some of the others around here are not so kind. I just posted two names that anyone here could look up and verify what I am saying. I have had a number of guys attack me about things they don't really know about, but have heard second/third hand. I'm also often attacked about my "non- PC" methods of posting, and frankly I make no apologys for my statements. I'm here to exchange ideas, not play "kiss ass" with "the in crowd". My "bragging" about championships goes to my point on credible info, and who's offering it. (I'm too old to brag and who gives a shit) I just get frustrated when a "100MPH guy" asks for help, and a "65MPH guy" starts spouting off his "expert opinion" on what to do. I don't recall any "qualifications" to be a lake or river racer, but to win "high points" shows (to me) some kind of actual knowledge of the boating subject. I know that "my way" is one of many ways to do things, but I also know that I've actually done what I'm offering as fact. Dave, I spent way too much time in the shop helping boaters, when I should have been at the races, "being a good time party boy". I know that I haven't made everyone happy over the past 35 plus years, but those who spent money with me never complained. Thanks for reading, and yes I lost my original name "Big Kat Boat". (I'm working on V-drive cat designs.)

Lefty
    Marty Gras, can re-read Dave's post. All he is asking for, are a couple of good ol' stories. The nice thing about being in boating, for a long amount of time, is that you can give some good stories of the old days. So RELAX.

warpt71
    The GOOD stories can only be told over a COLD beer at the RIVER!!!

Marty Gras
    Ryan, today it's a cold beer at the cold river! "Lefty" I am relaxed, I moved to Havasu to stay relaxed. Full time. OK Dave, how about this one...... Remember back when the "cops" shows started on TV? (80's) I have a good friend named John, he is quite a respected engine builder (Calif.) and was working on the Buddy Gregory TAH at the time. John came into the shop one day and said he was talking to the "new owner" of that same TAH boat and that he may join the new team. Next week the new owner came by and we spoke for a few minutes, he asked about a some parts and prices but didn't seem to know much about his NEW BOAT. He also tried to "work me" on a $sponsor $ $ deal$" since I knew John. About 5 words into our conversation I knew John was the "brains" of this new team, and the owner was "not ready for prime time". In the following few weeks I would sell them stuff and get info about their progress, but not much racing data. One Saturday afternoon, after a long day behind the Bridgeport, I was at home watching TV. The "cops" show came on and I saw a Chevy crew cab that I 'kind-of' recognized. The cops were making a drug bust at a house in Newhall and it was "the new boat owner" Ron Savage! I later found out that John didn't trust the guy and bailed out durring the second week, so at least he was safe. It was great to watch that big talking loud mouth get "hooked up" and rolled out, on national TV! So now I've seen some of my "customers" on ESPN, Speed, ABC, Outdoor, and now COPS! HA HA! Disclaimer!!! This name has NOTHING to do with Savage Marine in Havasu!

superdave013
    did he drive a slamed white crew cab with the IHBA sticker on the back window? If so I saw that show too. Then we were at Buna Vista and this truck comes rolling in. I'm thinking man, I've seen that truck some place before. As soon as the guy gets out my friend (whos just as big of a loud mouth as me) yells out "HEY, YOU'RE THE DUDE ON COPS!" The guy was less then happy if I remember right.

v-drive
    now see their mg, I just read that whole thread and thought, maybe he's not an a#* h*^#
    I think you do give a shit
    :coffeycup v-drive

Moneypitt
    You know George, back then you could spot them a mile away......Slammed dually painted to match a 16 color gel coated, blown injected, boat, bitchen house, and the guy was HOME all day????????? Gee, I wonder where HIS money is coming from?.......MP

You know George, back then you could spot them a mile away......Slammed dually painted to match a 16 color gel coated, blown injected, boat, bitchen house, and the guy was HOME all day????????? Gee, I wonder where HIS money is coming from?.......MP Hey....He might have made his vast fortune in the "Stuffing envelopes" industry....Ya never know