Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To "Ride Plate" or not.

probablecause
    I will be installing a droop snoot on my 12jg which is on my 21' Carrera open bow. The motor is only two years old and pushes about 500 HP. Is it really worth all of the money to drill & tap and have a ride plate installed and is there that much drag on the droop or is it more for protection? Just looking for some real life experiences of people who have installed them. Thanks, Brendan.

GUGS102
    I installed a bolt on set up droop and ride plate. It worked well. I was not in a postion to pull the inkate etc. to do a proper plate.
    I am now currently pulling the enitre pump and will be going to the standard ride plate. If you are interested I'll sell the droop/ride plate combo.
    Here is a pic
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...28PB080546.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...28PB080544.JPG
    I know you are looking for advice rather than spam, but this is a set up that I used and was pleased with. Now that the entire boat is apart, I can machine the intake and install a traditional set up. Just my .02
    Gugs

probablecause
    I have seen this setup from PD before but always wondered what keeps the seemp from spliting open and the plate from tearing off if you are going fast. I mean it is a lot of presure on that seem (where the pump and plate meet and the plates bend/curve). Is it just the thick steel and positioning of the bolts as to now allow any flexing? Also, do you have to throw a wedge in on the droop to make it line up properly?

atxwrangler
    if that was a problem, they wouldn't be able to sell them very long!!

probablecause
    if that was a problem, they wouldn't be able to sell them very long!!
    My question was directed from the fact that it looks like a wedge was used to make it fit properly.

GUGS102
    I run the wedge to throw more tail. I've run it with and with out. The holes are slotted to allow you to make the angle work for the set up. Any more needed is easily ground out. As far as stress, I'm currently running 75 on radar in an 1800Lb boat with no problems. Running a 550-HP 489 solid roller motor.
    In the pic is 1/2" up front to back of the plate. As I said it works well, I've beat on it in all types of water conditions. I did notice it carries the bow better and likes the rough stuff better too.
    Again, my experience with the product, an easy way to get the benefit of the droop/plate combo without pulling the boat apart.
    Gugs

P-Money
    Anyone install a HTP "add on shoe and ride plate?" Interested in some feedback.

Brooski
    I run the wedge to throw more tail. I've run it with and with out. The holes are slotted to allow you to make the angle work for the set up. Any more needed is easily ground out. As far as stress, I'm currently running 75 on radar in an 1800Lb boat with no problems. Running a 550-HP 489 solid roller motor.
    In the pic is 1/2" up front to back of the plate. As I said it works well, I've beat on it in all types of water conditions. I did notice it carries the bow better and likes the rough stuff better too.
    Again, my experience with the product, an easy way to get the benefit of the droop/plate combo without pulling the boat apart.
    Gugs
    So is that the short droop? If so, what are you asking for the droop and plate? I am switching over to a G bowl this winter.

code8
    I have an 05 21 stealth/ultra with a stock vortec 6000 (350hp). I put the PD droop and ride plate on and tested it out a couple of weeks ago at Lake Elsinore.
    Before my average speed was around 50-51 mph. Now with the new set up, I ran 53.5 mph (GPS at 4500 rpm). I did my research on the droop and ride plate. For my budget and the set up of my boat (no shoe or ride plate), the PD worked best. I also ran the droop with out the ride plate. My speed dropped and it took longer to plain.
    I know the PD may not work on some boats, but it worked for mine.
    Just my 2 cents-Anthony

Squirtin Thunder
    So is that the short droop? If so, what are you asking for the droop and plate? I am switching over to a G bowl this winter.
    Aggressor is the only one at this time that I know of that is making the short droop. They are advertised in quite a few places but actually getting one is another story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast