Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My boat pulls to the left on accell???

skeeinfreak
    When I accellerate my boat will actually pull to the left, I can actually feel it in the wheel.....78 Challenger 18 1/2 454 w WJ Jacuzzi ....Any suggestions? I

HalletDave
    When I accellerate my boat will actually pull to the left, I can actually feel it in the wheel.....78 Challenger 18 1/2 454 w WJ Jacuzzi ....Any suggestions? I
    Does your pump nozzle have a steering rudder?:idea:

skeeinfreak
    Does your pump nozzle have a steering rudder?:idea:
    No it doesnt,but why would that make a difference? How could not having a rudder make it "actually pull"?:idea:

HalletDave
    No it doesnt,but why would that make a difference? How could not having a rudder make it "actually pull"?:idea:
    I had a bent steering rudder on my Berk pump about four years ago and it made the boat want to pull to the left. Removed the rudder & eliminated the problem.
    :idea: Are you sure the nozzle is in an absolute straight position in refference to your steering wheel when you mash the go pedal? Possibly some slack in the steering cable. Surely someone has encountered this same condition concerning Jacuzzi pumps or other pumps for that matter.
    Hang in there for a solution to the problem.

Bow Tie Omega
    I have driven 3 different jets, and at some point during acceleration,they have all had that tendency. You can tighten up your steering linkage or the tensioner on the column and that seems to help alot. I just got my boat back on the water recently and during higher speed acceleration, once already on plane, it would want to go left when I got on it hard. I tightened up my steering linkage (where the cable end ties to the nozzle). Instead of using a regular nut, I used a nylock nut and the problem is now gone. you have alot more tension control with the nylock. Good luck

skeeinfreak
    I had a bent steering rudder on my Berk pump about four years ago and it made the boat want to pull to the left. Removed the rudder & eliminated the problem.
    :idea: Are you sure the nozzle is in an absolute straight position in refference to your steering wheel when you mash the go pedal? Possibly some slack in the steering cable. Surely someone has encountered this same condition concerning Jacuzzi pumps or other pumps for that matter.
    Hang in there for a solution to the problem.
    Yeah...It's all straight...I just updated the Rack & Pinion and steering cable with all the new updated thing's. It steers very easy and everything is in order....But the pull is like a bad tire on car...It actually wants to take the wheel out of your hand...

VAMI
    how are the nozzle pins and bushings?or loosen your right four link bar, oops that a car

malcolm
    My WJ does the same thing. It started just after I replaced the old original steering nozzle with an older (non-sealed) style Place diverter. The first time I hit the gas it jerked the wheel out of my hands and slammed hard over. I asked everyone about it and nobody ever came up with a good answer. I just got used to it and kept driving it. It only pulls hard when you first get on plane. I hardley notice it anymore.
    I emailed Place about it and they said it would probably go away with a new nozzle. Hell, I'd just paid $500 for the used one. Best I can figure is the nozzle isn't exactly inline with the discharge of the bowl. I have changed the whole pump out and it still does it, so it's gotta be that nozzle. :idea:

skeeinfreak
    My WJ does the same thing. It started just after I replaced the old original steering nozzle with an older (non-sealed) style Place diverter. The first time I hit the gas it jerked the wheel out of my hands and slammed hard over. I asked everyone about it and nobody ever came up with a good answer. I just got used to it and kept driving it. It only pulls hard when you first get on plane. I hardley notice it anymore.
    I emailed Place about it and they said it would probably go away with a new nozzle. Hell, I'd just paid $500 for the used one. Best I can figure is the nozzle isn't exactly inline with the discharge of the bowl. I have changed the whole pump out and it still does it, so it's gotta be that nozzle. :idea:
    Thank's Malcom!

Wow guys ,pretty unusual for a significant steer "pull' on a jacuzzi jet IMO ,Tracy my best guess is "hardware" dragging? how bout some pics? (intake area steering etc) Honestly if theres not a lot of slop in the steering and everthings tite its Kind of strange ! Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast