Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass Gurus I have a question

flattie
    I have done lots some glass work last year I did a total re- do of the floor and bulkheads. So Im not afraid of this little project. Just looking for another set of eyes to look at it
    Im about to glass up the gas tank holes in my boat. But before I start I need to mask off the cockpit of the boat to keep most of the grinding dust out. I have cut out some light weight foam core and glued it in from the back side as you can see then I will have to take the grinder and feather out the glass and then I can start my glass work. Would anyone do this diffrent?
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/DSC04809.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...m/DSC04807.JPG Also how far would you feather it out? Also Resin Epoxy ect?

McIntyrelocal
    lay some plastic down on the inside and glass a srtip is on the bottom side of the holes.

Sangster
    Nothing wrong with doing it that way... Although I would also remove the foam core when done and place a layer or two to the underside of the patched area...

McIntyrelocal
    and i would grind around the line of the exhisting cap down for a couple of layers of mat so when you do your finish body work the holes wont show up when the paint shrinks back.

flattie
    What about resin or epoxy?

McIntyrelocal
    What about resin or epoxy?
    what about it?

flattie
    what would you use?

McIntyrelocal
    id glass it from the bottom let that set up then go to the top feather the hole out a little layup however many layers of glass it takes to fill all the way up not all at ounce and grind smooth and do your finish work with bondo.then primer it block it and paint it. resins and epoxies work good to fiil the holes but they dont bond well to exhisting glass especially really thin areas they would probably crack out from my experiences and from what ive been told is thats when your doing fiberglass when your done you want as little resin left as possible the strength is in the glass not the resin its always worked great with everything ive done capped a few boats and done other major glass work. hope that helps

Lefty
    Resin or Epoxy? My thinking on this would be to use what the boat was made out of. You want you repair to have the same properties as the rest of the boat. That way they give and stress at the same rate. I know this is not a regular place for cracks to occur, but that would be my reasoning. I also would build it from the bottom out. I would back the inside with wax paper after putting my inside layers on. Let that set up nice and hard and then go do the outside.

jimsplace
    If the light weight foam backing is what I think it is,
    before you place any resin on it, test it. (resin on excess piece of foam)
    Polyester resin and I assume vynelester resin will dissolve it. Epoxy resin can be used directly on the light weight foam OK. A plastic sheet or mylar placed on top of the foam may work. But try it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast