Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy Scout Camp Destroyed

HM
    I just got an e-mail that the boy scout camp in Running Springs was destroyed by the fire up there and expected to be a total loss. It is called Camp Helendade and Camp Wiley. I took my 6 year old to this camp last year and it is a great camp. He couldn't wait to go again this year...but that probably won't happen this year.
    If you guys would like to help out the cubscouts, I am selling See's Candy for Pack 346 in Canyon Lake. While the proceeds of the candy sales go to the local pack/troops, we are going to take a portion of the funds and send them to Camp Wiley/Helendade for the rebuilding effort. I don't know if other packs/troops are doing this.
    The See's Candy is a great fund raiser as See's give 50% of the sales price back to the Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts.

Jordy
    I took my 6 year old to this camp last year and it is a great camp. He couldn't wait to go again this year...but that probably won't happen this year.
    Are you kidding me??? You could work a couple troops and packs 14-16 hours a day and have that place rebuilt in no time with minimal labor expense. Use your head here.

DeltaSigBoater
    Are you kidding me??? You could work a couple troops and packs 14-16 hours a day and have that place rebuilt in no time with minimal labor expense. Use your head here.
    LMAO

HM
    Child labor rules!!! I think I just found the answer for illegal immigrant labor?

lalhc
    That's to bad if it's gone. As of yesterday only portions of the camp were destroyed per the scanner log:
    PM Source: other From: http://tinyurl.com/327mep
    Boy Scouts of America website - Running Springs Fire - Camp Helendade: 10-24-07 10:47 am Camp Helendade: I just received a phone call from one of our unit leaders who is a CA Dept of Fire Battalion Chief. He is on site at Camp Helendade in Running Springs this morning. Per his report, the Dining Hall, Lodge Bldgs, Upper restrooms and Ranger house are intact and still standing. Preliminary observation is that three structures were destroyed. The Pool House Bldg, New Handicraft Bldg and the Sports (Old Handicraft) Bldg are burnt to the ground. The fire apparently was a ground level fire with a few areas going up into the canopy of the trees. The Old Wisumahi area was hit hard and loss of trees in that area is massive. Pictures will be forth coming as he is able to send them to me.

RiverDave
    Kinda what I was thinking.. Here's your merit badge for buidling a log cabin!
    RD

HM
    That's to bad if it's gone. As of yesterday only portions of the camp were destroyed per the scanner log:
    PM Source: other From: http://tinyurl.com/327mep
    Boy Scouts of America website - Running Springs Fire - Camp Helendade: 10-24-07 10:47 am Camp Helendade: I just received a phone call from one of our unit leaders who is a CA Dept of Fire Battalion Chief. He is on site at Camp Helendade in Running Springs this morning. Per his report, the Dining Hall, Lodge Bldgs, Upper restrooms and Ranger house are intact and still standing. Preliminary observation is that three structures were destroyed. The Pool House Bldg, New Handicraft Bldg and the Sports (Old Handicraft) Bldg are burnt to the ground. The fire apparently was a ground level fire with a few areas going up into the canopy of the trees. The Old Wisumahi area was hit hard and loss of trees in that area is massive. Pictures will be forth coming as he is able to send them to me.
    It does sound like some structures may have survived. The boy scout website was updated with the same info you posted.

catman-do
    Sounds to me like that would be something fairly easy to rebuild. Maybe one structure, and then make a bunch of camping stalls, some overhead patios covers, some tables and waalaah campground complete!

HM
    Sounds to me like that would be something fairly easy to rebuild. Maybe one structure, and then make a bunch of camping stalls, some overhead patios covers, some tables and waalaah campground complete!
    I agree. I think a hundred or so See's Candy orders should do it.
    BTW - More than one structure needs to be rebuilt. While structures are not that important for the boyscouts that go camping there, the staff that stays there all summer needs the structures as that is their home for 4 months. We also don't know what is meant by "still standing" as I know the lay out of that camp and it seems odd with which structures burnt to the ground while another structure, that was attached to the poolhouse, was still standing. Sounds like the fire went up and over a couple structures. But, this camp was a camp of activities..and most of the activity structures are destroyed.
    There were no camping stalls ....it was tent camping in the forest with rope fences dividing the area into different names. The camp was light on bathroom facilities and one of the two are gone. I would still be interested in seeing how the other one "survived."
    The place was a tinderbox when we were there in August And it was so dusty that I was congested for a few days after camp was over. They were not allowed to have their normal camp fire in the ampitheater area and the marshmellow cook had to be attended by the Ranger and a Fire Fighter.

Moneypitt
    The Scouts will recover......It is the nature of the organization to do the impossible with little or nothing. They'll have it rebuilt, better than it was in no time at all.........MP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast