Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vortech or Procharger system on a Jet Boat????

Airin' it Out
    Has anyone thought about this or tried it? My best friend (and crewchief on my race boat--sportsman and M/E classes) and I have been kicking this idea around and we can't figure out why no one has tried this yet, or if they have, did it work?
    Anyone have any info or thoughts about it?
    Here's our thoughts, if you took a TX-19, stage II/III blueprinted pump turning a bronze A/B impeller, and ran a fairly mild 468 or 496 stroker, and add a vortech or procharger system (adjust. boost from 8-15 pounds of boost) the boat could easily see 100 mph plus and should be very quick too. Oh, and we are at 4400 feet elevation with extremely poor air quality. Adding a system like this seems like a great way to achieve those speeds and be very reliable too without a radical engine, high compression or having to use nitrous. Or have we been downing too many coors lights and trying to brainstorm at the same time?

TJS
    Someone on here has done it. I think he got it running this year as well. I just cannot remember his screen name. Nasty boat though.
    T.J.

ck7684
    I cant afford it...

502 JET
    Here are a few pics of my boat with a V-4J Vortech supercharger. The engine is a 509" BBC. No intercooler blowing 9.5lbs of boost through two 450 Holley's in a Procharger carb box the engine dynoed 916 hp @ 6k rpm on 93 octane pump gas. It will make 1000 hp + on race gas or with an intercooler with a few more psi of boost.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...844_1_-med.JPG

Can we safely assume that you're seeing triple digits with 916 hp and a tunnelhull?
    I like the fact that you can keep your back seat.

I can answer this question by next spring

Airin' it Out
    Here are a few pics of my boat with a V-4J Vortech supercharger. The engine is a 509" BBC. No intercooler blowing 9.5lbs of boost through two 450 Holley's in a Procharger carb box the engine dynoed 916 hp @ 6k rpm on 93 octane pump gas. It will make 1000 hp + on race gas or with an intercooler with a few more psi of boost.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...844_1_-med.JPG
    Hey 502 Jet,
    Thanks for the reply, I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain a little and maybe ask for some more pictures to see your set up and how it's all plumbed in?
    Was it hard to install and plumb? Did you buy a standard Carb Kit and modify to fit or piece it together? Any weird or unusual difficulties you've run into? How does it accelerate--is it quick? (I have to be able to keep up with boats that hit the nitrous button as soon as they plane)? What pump and impeller are you running? Are you seeing triple digit speeds with your set up and boat?
    Thanks in advance for any info and pictures!!!

Airin' it Out
    I can answer this question by next spring
    Hey Outlaw, where you from? NM? We boat at Elephant Butte in NM. Looks like you've been contemplating the same thing and adding a vortech or procharger system? Which one are you thinking about or planning on going with?

Bulldog Country.... Artesia.
    I'm doing a 540 EFI with a intercooled procharger with 5 psi boost and pump gas.
    Where are you from? we boat ate Conchas , Ute and Brantley.
    I was planning to go to the Butte for that last poker run, but didnt make it.

Boostedballs
    I am also throwing around the idea of the centrifugal blower on my jet with a 496 chevy. I was first thinking about using a twin turbo setup I have laying around but I would have to come up with some crazy headers that will work under my engine cover/sun deck. I figure the centrifugal blower should do the job and keep the sleeper look.
    I have messed around with blowing through the Edelbrock carbs in the past with some luck but with the Demon blow-through carbs on the market now, there is no reason to fiddle with the edelbrock.
    Is that a drawthrough setup you have?
    I don't want to do a draw-through setup because I want to be able to use a blow-off valve, priority valve and a huge intercooler without worrying about fuel dropout. Plus the stock location of the carb is nice.
    BUT- A friend of mine just put a brand new Paxton on his Mustang and it ate the bearings in about one month! I won't be buying a paxton, eventhough they are the leader in the field.
    PS- I do have some 4 barrel drawthrough manifolds and a intercooler that mounts on top of the stock intake if someone is interested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast