Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! I bought a Droop Snoot/Rideplate and Ruined My Boat!

cyclone
    Ok I have a problem. I went down to Place Diverter the other day to buy a new rudder for my Rogers and ended up walking out with their droop snoot/ride plate combo. I installed it Friday night and went out to Elsinore on Saturday. Prior to this, I had a boat that handled excellent, road like a cadillac through mild chop and was stable at its top speed of 72mph. I now have a boat that doesn't turn for shit, rides like its on one ice skate and is actually slower. I adjusted the ride plate with no results and even took it off. The boat is now too far out of the water and i have to drive with the diverter trimmed all the way down. Even then, the pump unloads and the boat porpoises in the slightest chop. This sucks! Anyone had a positive experience with this setup or have any advice? It seems like its made for a heavy boat that needs more lift. I think i just through 500 bucks in the toilet.

DEL51
    sorry for your new headache, I would make sure the droop does not hang below the hulls keel line. If it is a bolt on ride plate, it should be flush with the intake.I had experimented with a bolt on ride plate and experienced the same problems. My rideplate was a home built deal and bolted to the bottom of the intake.It was 3/16ths of an inch thick and this was enough drag to screw up my steering.I even counter sank the bolt holes.
    [This message has been edited by DEL51 (edited July 15, 2002).]

froggystyle
    I have a bigger jet that really benefitted from the extra lift. I gained top speed, holeshot, took less time to roll over, and handles a little better. Not to mention a hall of fame roost.
    Even Frank says... they are not for every boat.

HammerDown
    Just take it back...a large company as P.D. should have no problem returning your money...If the thing dosent work on your boat, tell em like it is. And if the boat's become (dangerous) due to that ride plate/droop gizmo...then tell PD. your attorney will be intouch after the accident there piece causes! Don't give up...

froggystyle
    You won't need to threaten the Place's. Just tell them the deal, and see what they can do.
    If not, I may have a used customer for you.
    He is trying my droop out on his boat this week.

BowTie Rick
    I agree with calling them. We take crap back from people all day long that are far less deserving than you. Our rule is "if they are not happy, fix it". If they give you crap, do let us know as I too may be interested in buyng it off you.

cyclone
    I haven't called Frank yet. I bought the setup after he looked at my boat and saying it would work. I just wanted to see if I was doing something wrong. The ride plate is above the keel line and everything is installed correctly. The only thing that didn't work was their steering spacer. I had to machine my own to connect their steering extension to the pump. I think think that if the droop was maybe half the size, it might work but this is just way too much lift for my boat. The rooster is ridiculously big, which is cool, but I can't even control the boat unless the diverter is trimmed all the way down. If i put the pump back to stock, would a wedge give me a bit more adjustability and therefore, a bit more lift? that's all i'm really after here. Thanks for the help.

revndave
    USE THE DRO0P AND THE DIVERTER ONLY.NOT THE RIDE PLATE.OR HAVE A REAL RIDE AND SHOE INSTALLED.GOOD LUCK

cyclone
    Well I have to give it up to Frank because he's actually going to let me return everthing and refund my money. How cool is that? I can't think of any company that would let you try out their product and then bring it back. Frank is the man! Now, if i want just a tad more lift and not the huge amount that the droop snoot gave me, what should I do? Would a wedge help in this situation?

HBjet
    Glad to hear you can take it back and sorry it didn't work out. Personally, I think the Place ride plate/droop combo is junk. For a ride plate to work, it needs to be attached to the back of the hull. The desired location is having your intake machined for one. Now, you want a little lift and don't know what to do. What you need is a cut back shoe. that will lift your boat out about another inch. I'm going to be having one made for my boat pretty soon from Jack at MPD. Every boat is different, so I would talk to someone like Jack to see what degree would work for your boat. I believe the they make 1, 2 and 3 degree cut back shoes. Good Luck.
    HBjet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast