Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge

Uniqueperformancewest
    Ok of all the new trucks that are out, what is everyones feedback. I've heard from people that the 6.4L Ford engine is getting horrible gas mileage. And the Chevy's are having tranny issues, and the Dodge has a horrible turning radius. But comparing them all the 6.4L the 6.6 with the 6 speed, and the new 6.7L and the 6 speed. How are all these trucks doing, whats everyones opinions based on personal experience. What kind of gas mileage are you getting, what kind of problems are you having, any other input would be great too.
    Thanks John

Chico&Zeus
    I have a 2006 Dodge quadcab 4x4 short bed, not the megacab....my turning radius is fine, u-turns are easy, not as great as my wife's yukon but better than a lot of other trucks I've driven. I've got the diesel, so fuel mileage is ok, power is great, breaking is decent...only complaint is the transmissions, if you add any power or torque to them, they are the weakest link...only other complaint I can think of is that the window pillers on both sides of the windshield are huge creating a blind spot....other than that....she's a good truck. Plus, my wife used to work for Chrysler, when they laid her off, part of her severence package was "Employee Pricing for Life".....so my $48,000 truck was like $36,000

ultra26shadow
    I have the 07 Chevy w/the duramax/allison crew cab, and it's wonderful. I havent had any problems as of yet, well it only has 2500 miles on it but I like it better than my 04 2500 hd gas, plus this truck has a better turning radius than the old HD's I can make complete U-turns on the new truck that my old one I would have to do a 2 pont u-turn, and towing not a problem lots of power, and the gas mileage ranges from 12-14 MPG, The only thing I wish there were more modifications for this new motor (LMM) like exhausts and programmers.

Uniqueperformancewest
    Thanks guys for the input, my father has one of the dodge mega cabs and his turning radius is horrible. Since yours isn't a mega that probably helps out alot, I like the dodge power etc. but as you said the 4 speed tranny is the weak link. I wonder how the 6.7 is with the 6 speed behind it, my greatest concern is how it will hold up with power upgrades. I will end up lifting, exhausting, and programming whatever I buy and I want it to be able to handle it.
    Thanks for your responses,
    John

Trailer Park Casanova
    Everyone we run with has towing vehicles.
    The Dodge owners we know went to the stick shift to get around the questionable Chrysler Auto Tranny.
    Their clutches, and HD aftermarket clutches don't last long.
    Shifting towing 20.000lb has to suck IMHO.
    The new Ford truck rides rough, and still questions about the emissions problems & issues.
    Wall street doesn't expect Ford to make it through the decade.
    But, several neighbors have the new F450, and they love them, and they are nice trucks for sure. Their biggest complaint is poor mileage.
    If turning radius is a BFD, then take a close look at the Fords.
    The other big complaint with Ford has been Tranny and rear ends failures.
    Can't beat the D Maxs and Allisons in the GM and Chevys.
    Most Allisons are trouble free, only a rare few have had a solinoid or a seal replaced,, but other than that they are excellent.
    Indy tranny shops have no clue about working on them, and will try and sell the owner a new tranny rather than perform a simple fix.
    The GMs have the best ride and best diesel fuel economy IOHO's.

Warlockjer
    Got a 08 F250 Diesel and it does get extremly bad fuel mileage, but the power is unreal. I had a 7.3 before with a chip exhaust and K&N filter and this has much more power stock. The ride is incedible and I for one like the new interior. It is pretty much loaded and also has the nav system....

The Doctor
    Two Crew Cab Duallys here. Both Duramax/Allison GM units. Absolutely the cream of the crop. Traded a new Ford on the first and liked is to much I sold it to my son and bought a newer one for myself. Hands down the best truck I have ever owned!!!
    Oh, by the way, my son is now selling his!
    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/452774387.html

Two Crew Cab Duallys here. Both Duramax/Allison GM units. Absolutely the cream of the crop. Traded a new Ford on the first and liked is to much I sold it to my son and bought a newer one for myself. Hands down the best truck I have ever owned!!!
    Oh, by the way, my son is now selling his!
    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/452774387.html
    That seems like a pretty good price for a Diesel with under 100,000 miles.

AZJD
    Chevy LMM 2500HD 6" w/35's:
    14.5MPG but I drive it hard, real hard.
    Turning is fine.......it's a 3/4 ton, it's not a sports car.
    Tranny is fine. 14k miles
    Runs like a raped ape.
    Quiet.
    Regen cycle kind of annoying.
    Paint quality could have been better on Chevy
    Ride comfort improves after lifting.
    Interior is solid and comfy
    I have ridden in the new ford with 6" and it rode nice but stiffer than mine.
    Engine in the Ford with a Superchip was same speed as mine stock.
    Drive them all and figure out which one you like. All these "so called" problems everyone is having, are simply crap being talked by people that like the opposite brands. Each truck has it's advantages and disadvantages.
    Haven't seen proof of anything on any brand that would be considered a problem. They are all junk!

BadKachina
    I like lifted trucks, therefore I won't own a truck with ifs. I still have a 99 Chevy with 60k miles on it. It's been through ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, and it never seems to wear the tires evenly. My son drives it, and I'm sure as a teenager he's tough on it but every lifted Chevy I've had has had to have front end parts replaced at one time or another. My 2000 Excursion with a 10" lift never had any front-end parts replaced in 7 years. So my new f-250 has 9" lift, it's night and day faster than my 7.3, it's quiet, but the mileage is only around 12. That's not horrible, I didn't buy it for gas mileage, and it's only got 7k miles on it so it's not broken in yet.
    All the Duramax owners I know love their trucks too. I think you'll be fine with what ever brand you choose. For me, I'm used to the Ford seat so other manufactuers seats seem uncomfortable to me. I also have the power pedals, so buy the time I get the wheel, pedals and seat dialed in, I just feel out of place driving anything else.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast