Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBF thermostat

Bajajet
    Anyone ever seen a BBF themostat bypass setup? I have some friends that run them on thier Chevys and it sure works nice. It would need a big offset to work on a Ford or it would need to be remote. Do they exist?

GAWnCA
    Anyone ever seen a BBF themostat bypass setup? I have some friends that run them on thier Chevys and it sure works nice. It would need a big offset to work on a Ford or it would need to be remote. Do they exist?
    I had one of the housings on my BBF when I got it. There were no guts in the housing and it had been drilled to fit the intake manifold to the point the bolt heads were into the body of the housing. I later found out that there isn't one really made for the BBF but if adapted would work. I took the advice from http://www.performancejet.com/techtalkNEW.htm
    and am going to try their method of installing the 160* thermostat with the holes drilled for relief when the Thermostat isn't open. See the last paragraph in the article.
    You can build the pressure relief set up cheaper but why go to the hassle. I had to do it the hard way and build my own. Cost in parts was around $75 or $80 plus tax and shipping.
    Here's what I have come up with on my own.
    http://gregaw.home.comcast.net/My_Va...up_Cropped.jpg
    Now I need to get a water pressure valve to tell me what pressure I have at the block and figure out where to mount it.

riverbound
    I bought one of the rex marine kits. and had to modify it a bit to fit on my Ford. But now it works great! boat keeps a constant temp and have had no issues.

GAWnCA
    I bought one of the rex marine kits. and had to modify it a bit to fit on my Ford. But now it works great! boat keeps a constant temp and have had no issues.
    I've got the housing and I guess I could modify it a bit more but there's no guts in it. The new housing I bought from Hardin-Marine (anyway that's who made it) still has to have the web milled out for the thermostat to be installed. I may order the guts and try it again, if you say it works great. One thing about it, I would have both set ups and can see which works best.

Bajajet
    How did you get it to clear the distributor? Any pictures?
    Thanks

GAWnCA
    Thanks
    Here is how it use to look,
    http://gregaw.home.comcast.net/Engin...umbing-002.jpg
    I'll post photos of how it looks now, when I get it all back together.

riverbound
    Thanks
    I had no issues with clearance I run an MSD pro-billet dist. on a Weiand stealth manifold. Looke thourhg my pics and I dont have any. the boat sits in our warehouse, So maybe next time i go down there I will snap a couple.

Bajajet
    I had no issues with clearance I run an MSD pro-billet dist. on a Weiand stealth manifold. Looke thourhg my pics and I dont have any. the boat sits in our warehouse, So maybe next time i go down there I will snap a couple.
    Perfect! I run a Weiand Stealth and MSD 85806 (I think thats the #) too!

GAWnCA
    I have the Mallory Dist. that has been converted to electronic and it has room on this old Edelbrock manifold. Where do you buy the guts for the housing?

Bajajet
    So get the aluminum housing and do a little carving to make it fit then? Or is the stainless better because it is probably shorter??? (but harder to carve) Just don't want to trash one only to find out I should have bought the other.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast