Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? for the ford guys

matt1
    How hard is to change the timming chain and how much slack is it supposed to have.Also do you have to pull the pan to change it.

hack job
    its not too tought to change it all you have to do is remove the timing chain cover with out letting water fall in to the pan and then its pretty simple fomr there , remeber there are two bold that hold the timing chain cover to the oil pan. as for slack there should be none. it should be tight. atleast it has been on every one i have built
    wink

matt1
    Thanks Tyson I changed out my fuel pump and stuck my finger in the hole and could move the chain back and fourth about 3/4 of an inch.So theres no need to pull the motor out to do this.

Aqua Boogie1
    Yeah, thats alot of slack there. You don't have to pull the motor to change it. Just make sure that when you align the dots correctly, replace eveything and time. Your good to go...

LakesOnly
    Matt,
    Spend the money on a double roller timing chain. Also, make sure it is for a pre-1972 429/460 (almost every performance roller is, so this might not be an issue at all). This is because the keyway on the 1972-up crank gear has been re-located 8 degrees retarded (crankshaft advance 8 degrees), when compared to pre-'72 timing sets.
    If you did in fact have the later timing set, then remember to also adjust your ignition timing after installing the early style timing set.
    LO
    [ May 03, 2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

Beavertim
    I have the same issue as Matt (loose stock timing chain). I'm pretty sure my motor is a post 72. I'm confused on the timing difference. If I install a pre-72 dual roller set on my motor with an 8 deg retarded keyway, won't that retard my cam 8 degrees? or am I just retarded? Tim

LakesOnly
    Beavertim:
    I'm confused on the timing difference. If I install a pre-72 dual roller set on my motor with an 8 deg retarded keyway, won't that retard my cam 8 degrees? Tim The difference in the keyway location is in the timing chain's crank gears--not the crankshafts themeselves (crankshafts are the same in all 429/460 engines).
    This is a weird way to look at it, but the 8 degrees is taken up in the crankshaft; therefore, retarding the crank effectively advances cam timing.
    Also, camshaft r.p.m. is one-half that of crankshaft r.p.m. Therefore, installing a pre-72 timing set (with 8 degrees less crank advance) on the 72-up engine will advance cam timing 4 degrees.
    If, in fact, you have a late model style timing set, then the keyway channel in the timing set's crank gear is cut 8 degrees advanced (thereby retarding camshaft timing by 4 degrees).
    To help you understand, I have lifted these photos from another site:

For emmissons reasons, the location of the keyway was adjusted for 72-up engines. This adjustment hurts power output.
    LO

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    I would only like to add one thing to what lakes only said. I would check the specs on the cam while you are at it. The cam should have numbers stamped on the front of it behind the timing gear. Contact the manufacturer and find out if the cam should be retarded or advanced. This changes from cam to cam and especially on high performance cams. Then I would suggest that you buy a degree wheel and degree your cam. You need a special set with offset guides that slip in a larger whole to allow you to advance or retard your cam a few degrees. This can be very important with a high performance application. you will spend a little more on an adjustable timing set but it can give you a little more hp. Precision is the key to hp. I think that comp cams sells a kit with the wheel and all in it. You should check into it. Also find out what the cam manufacturer recommends the initial timing on the distributor to be and set it there. I'm with lakesonly all the way on double roller, just make sure it is a true double roller and not a cheap rip off. Of course only reputable ones have adjustable sets so you should be good on any adjustable set. Good luck and let us know if you need help degreeing your cam.
    Omega

Beavertim
    Lakes and Omega,
    Thanks for the knowledgable insight. Lakes, the picture tells a thousand words. I plan on installing a new cam (competition) in a couple of weeks and do plan on degreeing it. I am familiar with the degreeing process, and I plan on getting an adjustable timing set, which in conjuction with the degreeing should take care off the BBF keyway offset, but it's still good to understand what's going on anyway. Any recommendations on timing set brands? Thanks Tim

matt1
    Thanks for all the great info I always knew about chevy's but new boat has 460 I like it so for so like Beavertim said whats the best kind to get what about the ones that have 3 keyway slots on the crank gear Thanks alot again Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast