Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas in A diesel

GUGS102
    Neighbor put 25 gallons of regular in his diesel. Was in a hurry grabbed the green handle and low and behold it was regular not diesel. He went down the road a mile before it started running rough. We towed it home and I drained the fuel for him and also drained the fuel bowl.
    After it was all drained, I put diesel back in it and cycled the fuel pump until I was getting pure diesel out of the water/fuel bowl drain. We fired it back up and it smoked like a SOB. As it idled, it cleaned up a bit but still not 100% normal. I was thinking of putting marvel oil in as an additive.
    Any suggestions or similar experiences? The truck is a 99 power stroke. The computer did not shut it down which worries me that he hurt it.
    Thoughts/advice welcome. Truck has over 200K with no other problems.
    Thanks,
    Gugs

djunkie
    That not sound so good. Last time I saw someone do that it went boom.

Cole Trickle
    A buddies wife did this to her Excursion.
    Pretty sure the dealership drained/flushed the system and replaced the fuel filters.
    Not 100% sure but it's still running years later

snake321
    My buddy did it in a Dodge. Still runs fine.

STV_Keith
    Without the lubricity of the diesel, it may have stuck a pintle in a nozzle. See if it picks the cylinder back up. If not, take it to a shop with a scanner and they can run a cylinder contribution test on it...that will at least tell you which injector needs to be replaced.

franky
    Without the lubricity of the diesel, it may have stuck a pintle in a nozzle. See if it picks the cylinder back up. If not, take it to a shop with a scanner and they can run a cylinder contribution test on it...that will at least tell you which injector needs to be replaced.
    Keith, you are the Shell Answer Man!
    Lubricity, I like that word.

STV_Keith
    Keith, you are the Shell Answer Man!
    Lubricity, I like that word.
    Occupational hazard.

GAWnCA
    I did this when I was driving truck. They put a damn gas pump out on the diesel island. Well, an old timer came along and he had a formula for a fix. He took the number of gallons pumped, divided by 8 and then that number divided by 8 again and it gave him the number of quarts of 30 wt. motor oil to add to the tank to keep everything lubricated. It ran a little rough until I got the gas burned out but once I got diesel back in it ran great. Cleaned out the injectors like NOTHING found on the shelf. From then on, after talking to the old timer, I would run a couple of gallons of gas in both 150 gal tanks every 4 or 5 months. Works great in the winter if you have a lot of condensation.
    So add a half a qt of regular old 30 wt oil and you'll be fine.

Jerrys59
    Neighbor put 25 gallons of regular in his diesel. Was in a hurry grabbed the green handle and low and behold it was regular not diesel. He went down the road a mile before it started running rough. We towed it home and I drained the fuel for him and also drained the fuel bowl.
    After it was all drained, I put diesel back in it and cycled the fuel pump until I was getting pure diesel out of the water/fuel bowl drain. We fired it back up and it smoked like a SOB. As it idled, it cleaned up a bit but still not 100% normal. I was thinking of putting marvel oil in as an additive.
    Any suggestions or similar experiences? The truck is a 99 power stroke. The computer did not shut it down which worries me that he hurt it.
    Thoughts/advice welcome. Truck has over 200K with no other problems.
    Thanks,
    Gugs
    Dont think i would use the marvel oil in the diesel. Read some of the el forums.
    I use 2 stroke ashless in my 99 dodge. 32oz. per 35 gallons of fuel. I do use marvel oil in the boat though.

I was reading one of those truck driver magazines and they mentioned in the tech section lucas oil fuel treatment. It's suppose to increase the life of the injectors with this new low sulfur fuel crap. I actually did a dumb a$$ move and replaced the fuel filter without filling it up. Fill the entire contents of the filter with lucas and it ran great!!! Thought I was in trouble with all the horror stories of having to take it somewhere to purge the injectors, scared me!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast