Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Header Blueing

Licketty Split
    Just wondering if any one suffers from the tubes before the water injection getting VERY blue or black.

Licketty Split
    some one? Any one?

Bense468
    blue yeah. They have this stuff that the custom harley guys use to take it off. You have to rub pretty hard though and have to keep up. If it is to bad it won't help you much. You can bike it at most custom bike shops or harley stores.

Hotcrusader76
    Licketty Split:
    some one? Any one?You are either running too rich or too much octane fuel. If I remember correctly, more octane than needed will burn off in your pipes...correct me if I am wrong with that last one...
    -Ty

blowngas
    Hotcrusader76:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Licketty Split:
    [qb]some one? Any one?You are either running too rich or too much octane fuel. If I remember correctly, more octane than needed will burn off in your pipes...correct me if I am wrong with that last one...
    Normaly it is a lean condition or timing being too retarded that causes a high exhaust temp resulting in the chrome "bluing"

WETDAWG
    Hey LS,
    Don't know much about the boobing (I mean blueing) But the harley guys seem to have some good stuff to keep thier pipes clean. Oh Yeah....Chrome covers.
    Good Luck
    WD

77charger
    running rich will blue your headers lean will leave a green color on them,dry will blacken them.
    It is normal to have blueing the first 5-7 inches on your pipes coming out of the cylinders.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    how do you get the black off. my headers have some black. I used a buffer and jewelers rouge and it works a little. but it sure takes a long time though.

Kwicherbichen
    Try Eastwood they have a compound called "Blue away". It's item #13193 and it cost $12.99. I haven't used it so I can't tel ya if it works.

jet4fun
    even the paperwork when you buy a new set of headers from bassett say that your pipes will blue between the heads, and where the water injectors are, this is normal. if your pipes blue beyond the injectors it could be one of the problems listed above, or it may be that water is not coming through the injectors, if so check all your lines and your t-valve for clogging. the mist of water should start coming out of your pipes at between about 1500 and 2000 rpm's, and be dry at idle.
    [ August 11, 2002, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: jet4fun ]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast