Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porposing Problem

Slowboy
    I just changed engines... Went from a NA 350 sbc to a Blown 400 sbc. The boat ran low 70s on gps with the 350 and was fairly smooth. It would hop around if the diverter was up to high, but would settle down if I lowered it back down. I ran the new engine today for the first time in the boat. From around 70 and on up it hops around so much it almost hurts. It makes no difference where the diverter is, all the way down or up, same thing. I can feel the boat slow down everytime it comes down and hits the water. What can I do to get this thing to set and go?
    Boat is a 18 foot mako, dominator pump, AB impeller, engine running around 6400-6500 rpm, Ride plate, droop, loader, place diverter, and a shoe. I am planning on changing impellers this winter and would like to get a good run in so I roughly have an idea which impeller to use.
    Did the porposing come from the added weight? Any help would be great.
    Ryan

IMPATIENT 1
    how much ride plate angle are you giving it?nice boat btw!

Slowboy
    I have only had this boat less than one year, and really dont know how to set everything up yet. This is my first jet. The ride plate was set with a straight edge off the bottom of the boat, as to be straight in line with the bottom, then I turned it up a little from there. Should the ride plate be angled down, kinda like creating some hook?
    This thing was so hopping so violent it was ready to throw out my passanger, good thing I had a steering wheel to hold on to.
    Ryan

IMPATIENT 1
    I have only had this boat less than one year, and really dont know how to set everything up yet. This is my first jet. The ride plate was set with a straight edge off the bottom of the boat, as to be straight in line with the bottom, then I turned it up a little from there. Should the ride plate be angled down, kinda like creating some hook?
    This thing was so hopping so violent it was ready to throw out my passanger, good thing I had a steering wheel to hold on to.
    Ryan
    sounds like you don't have enough angle or its possible your goin the wrong direction with the angle. the leading edge should be keel level and the rear edge should be higher up, not down. most v-hulls like @2-4degrees of up angle on the ride plates.
    example:
    boat/
    not
    boat\

OverKill
    NO you don't want to angle the Ride Plate down IMO. You should have it at 2 degrees up from Keel, that would be a good starting point. It sounds like the boat is running to loose. How much shoe are you running it with, and what kind of shoe do you have on it?? Do you have any wedging between the droop and the bowl. IMO I would start with a 4 degree wedge. Also can you tell us or give us a pic of your loader, you might be loading the pump to much. IMO I don't think that would be the case, but we are here to cover all angles arent we.
    OverKill

Slowboy
    NO you don't want to angle the Ride Plate down IMO. You should have it at 2 degrees up from Keel, that would be a good starting point. It sounds like the boat is running to loose. How much shoe are you running it with, and what kind of shoe do you have on it?? Do you have any wedging between the droop and the bowl. IMO I would start with a 4 degree wedge. Also can you tell us or give us a pic of your loader, you might be loading the pump to much. IMO I don't think that would be the case, but we are here to cover all angles arent we.
    OverKill
    It sounds like I have the ride plate about right then. The shoe is aluminum, and looks like somebody made it out of flat aluminum. I have a 4 degree wedge between the bowl and the droop, the wedge is aimed up. I will try to post some good pictures of the underside of the boat, the shoe and loader. Thanks again, Ryan

Slowboy
    Pictures of the bottom are hard to get good. These were taken before the new engine.
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...umpdump018.jpg
    This is from the side, the shoe is bent in the middle, I fixed that, and added some more screws. I also recessed the screws so they are not sticking down into the water dragging. This was all done shortly after I got the boat.
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...umpdump019.jpg
    You can see clearly in this picture the bent shoe, I have fixed this earlier this year.
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...umpdump017.jpg
    Here is a picture from the back of the boat, the shoe is not bent anymore, it is flush with the ride plate now.
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...umpdump020.jpg
    Here is a picture of the shoe, after I straightened it and added a couple mounting holes.
    Thanks, Ryan

Duane HTP
    Does that boat have a flat or rounded bottom in front of the pump?

OverKill
    Does that boat have a flat or rounded bottom in front of the pump?
    Duane take a look at that shoe in the last picture. I would say it's time for a new one along with some shims from your shop, would you say the same??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast