Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: single carb tunnel ram??

Running_on_Empty
    I've got a 468 chevy I was wonder what the advantages or disadvantages to a single carb tunnel ram would be, and if I ran one what size carb I would want to sit atop it. thanks.
    049 heads with 2.14 and 1.88's

77charger
    Might only have the cool look factor.
    get a good single carb manifold instead or get one more carb to add up top.

Running_on_Empty
    yea, thats what I thought, I have a fiberglass scoop.....so I figured if I had the poor man's blower...I might as well have the poor man's tunnel ram. Is there anything wrong with them though.....I mean would I gain a lot more from just a regualr manifold

charitycase
    A Hat is always cool& effeiciant on a ram.Alot easier to tune.Just a thought.

Running_on_Empty
    what do you mean by hat?

469 the coyote
    A injecter hat. I would put a high rise single carb manifold on it. If you want to run a bunch of RPM go with the tunnel with a single carb.

Jordy
    I ran one for a couple seasons as it came on the boat. The big problem was, when I started tuning up the boat for more speed by going through the bottom end and changing out the flat top blower pistons for some with a dome and a little more compression, I couldn't ever get rid of the lean miss that would come on the top end. Ended up wiping out the corner pistons due to detonation.
    Did look cool though.

Running_on_Empty
    I have a torker 2 for it right now. I herd air gap intakes were ideal. The single carb tunnel ram does look cool.

A good single carb manifold or a dual carb tunnel ram would be a better choice. The single carb tunnel rams always had fuel distribution problems just based off their design of center and end cylinders not getting equal distribution. Not good performers compared to properly setup alternatives above has been my experience.

ol guy
    Here would be a reply from someone that ran a single top tunnel for a while. Stop and think of the plenum and the air verses feul. They will work and were designed for 7 k plus rpm. If you think of off idle or low rpm romp you have alot of air in the plenum and a lean condition on the feul side. I don't know the motor specs but if you want to stay with the single carb deal then run a 850 carb and go VERY and I repeat VERY large on the primary and secondary squirters. Then jet as per your'e plug readings at W.O.T. Which would mean take a hard pass after you get a good leave and remove the initial bog then shut down a.s.a.p. and read the plugs. That will tell you if you can jet to feed the beast or go to a larger carb. The last thing you want to do is introduce more air at cruise or idle to already large volume of air. 2 cents with change. Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast