Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tunnel Ram w/ Single carb vs Hi-Rise intake

Sleeper CP
    Since this past June when I started vistiting ***boat this question has come up a few times. I thought I would share some numbers and info with you that I did in Jully of 2000.
    (I came across this info in one of my moving boxes while cleaning the garage last week. We've been in the new house for two years and I still don't have things straight. There's pros and cons to having a 5-car 1,340 sq. ft. garage you can hold a lot of crap in it )
    The engine is the 565" Ford, First gen. Ford Motorsport A-460 heads(flow numbers 420 CFM's) 10.8:1 compression,custom roller cam (Dan Crower) dur. at .050 278/285, lift .750/.760 . The Carb is a custom C&S Dominator it will "wet flow" approx. 1,250 cfm's
    Here are the intakes:
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...p/scan0002.jpg
    The intake base is a Trick Flow Tunnel ram and I had a friend make the top for it.
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...p/scan0001.jpg
    Looks pretty impressive on the dyno doesn't it?
    And here is the standard Hi Rise single. It's not a very good picture but you can see it doesn't sit very high.
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...scan0004-2.jpg
    We ran the two intakes on the same day. When we were done the numbers looked like this:
    Tunnel Ram/single 4 /// Single High Rise
    CbTrq
    4,500 - 628 lb-ft /// 627 lb-ft
    5,000 - 690 lb-ft /// 703 lb-ft
    5,500 - 712 lb-ft /// 707 lb-ft
    6,000 - 705 lb-ft /// 702 lb-ft
    Peak 712@ 5,500 /// 711@ 5,800
    Horse Power:
    Tunnel Ram /// Single Hi- Rise
    5,300 - 714 hp /// 711 hp
    5,800 - 778 hp /// 790 hp
    6,300 - 827 hp /// 841 hp
    6,800 - 818 hp /// 850 hp
    Peak HP/Corrected
    Tunnel Ram /// Single hi-rise
    6,200 832 hp /// 6,600 - 856 hp
    6,600 832 hp
    The fuel distribution on the single Hi-rise was much better and the BSFC's on the Hi-rise were .48 vs .52 on the Tunnel ram.
    Just thought I would share. Good luck with your winter projects
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

76miller
    Now slap another carb on that tunnel ram and show us some #'s. I'm guessing there would be a good 50-75 more hp on the tunnel ram side. Your buddy does nice top plates though Jon.

bp
    so jon, why did the hirise work better than the tunnel ram??? i'd like to see your thoughts and the reasoning behind it.

Sleeper CP
    so jon, why did the hi rise work better than the tunnel ram??? i'd like to see your thoughts and the reasoning behind it.
    In short, since I have to get back to work: Air velocity and fuel distribution.
    I'll elaborate later if need be
    You would be surprised as to how small the runner's are on the single high rise compared to the T/R.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

bp
    did you do anything inside that plenum other than screw the top on?

Sleeper CP
    BP,
    No turtle,cone or diverter just a flat floor. We talked about it, but as always it comes down to time and money. I just don't have enough of either
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

Ken F
    Is that a Victor intake, with a 1" spacer?
    My 501 made 720 hp @ 6k on 93 with 10.5/1 compression.
    You've got me thinking.....
    Ken

Sleeper CP
    Is that a Victor intake, with a 1" spacer?
    You've got me thinking.....
    Ken
    It is not a Victor, it's the old TFS/Ford Motorsport A-460 intake. A Victor is a much better manifold,but it will not fit the heads. Unless you use Price Motorsports plates. (A-460 heads rect. port/ Victor intake round port)
    Yes it does have a spacer.
    Now slap another carb on that tunnel ram and show us some #'s. I'm guessing there would be a good 50-75 more hp on the tunnel ram side. Your buddy does nice top plates though Jon.
    Wayne, I do have the top for dual dominator's now, but dual dominators aren't practical for a "ski boat". I'd could always put it on with the duals if I wanted to make 1,000 hp with the new engine. At 935 hp with the single 4 I could see 1,000 with the T/R. I'd rather make 950-975 with the single 4 though.
    It makes it look more like a ski boat that way.
    Sleeper CP

76miller
    It is not a Victor, it's the old TFS/Ford Motorsport A-460 intake. A Victor is a much better manifold,but it will not fit the heads. Unless you use Price Motorsports plates. (A-460 heads rect. port/ Victor intake round port)
    Yes it does have a spacer.
    Wayne, I do have the top for dual dominator's now, but dual dominators aren't practical for a "ski boat". I'd could always put it on with the duals if I wanted to make 1,000 hp with the new engine. At 935 hp with the single 4 I could see 1,000 with the T/R. I'd rather make 950-975 with the single 4 though.
    It makes it look more like a ski boat that way.
    Sleeper CP
    Ya, you definately have everybody fooled w/ what your boats capable of, that is until you spoke of it on Hot Boat !! You got the best of both worlds w/ your set up. From a distance it looks harmless, I could imagine that you have had some fun suprising many boats.

bp
    BP,
    No turtle,cone or diverter just a flat floor. We talked about it, but as always it comes down to time and money. I just don't have enough of either
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover
    understand.
    i think you demonstrated what worked better "out of the box", bare. however, i believe the tunnel ram is better by leaps and bounds (and yes i would believe the difference in runner size), if flowed and modified properly. of course, that is time/money. with a bazillion ci plenum (that's made larger with that top), velocity will go in the tank unless something is done about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast