Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hot boat write ups?

Like I said earlier, I'm new here and wanting to buy a boat. Trying to digest as much info as I can in a short time, so I can buy the proper boat for my needs before the next season hits. A buddie of mine has brough me his Hot boat collection with all the Mfg. write ups. I noticed that some of the companies they write about in the older issues are not even in business anymore??? The articles sound as if the company was gods gift to boating, and then gone? How much faith should I put on these tests, and the particular strength of the company they are writing about?

Havasu1986
    Hot Boat has a magazine. Had to do it. Its a joke newbie.

dc96819
    Its like going into a candy store
    All depends how much your going to spend and what size

Throttle
    do your research and make your decision after the LA boat show, my .02... be sure to come by and introduce yourself, I will be at Cobra...

With business being so tough. I don't want to end up with a boat whose company is not there in the near future, as I'm sure that will affect it's value.
    More confusion added to my boat search.

do your research and make your decision after the LA boat show, my .02... be sure to come by and introduce yourself, I will be at Cobra...
    You guys definately have some of the nicest boats I've seen, you place is immaculate. It's reflected in the price. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are not worth it. I just don't have the money for a new Cobra, Elminator, DCB....................... I'll stop and hi, but it will have to be a quick goodby,lol. Thanks for your input

whiteworks
    will this be your first boat?
    what kind of boat do you think you want?
    where will you be boating lake/river/ocean?
    will you be towing it alot/do you have the right truck to tow it?
    I would take a good look at these questions above and really figure out what you need VS. what you want. I wouldnt be in a rush to buy a new boat right now considering there are some really nice used boats on the market for great prices. try and negotiate while its raining like a mofo right before christmas. and the straight truth is the best boat is a freinds boat

SB
    Boating mags don't do comparison tests like Car & Driver. In addition to HB, look through some other boating mags.
    Ride on some other boats, make a list of what you like and don't like.
    Tell us what you are looking for.
    Houseboat, pontoon, 18' foot v drive 1000 hp, family jet?

will this be your first boat?
    what kind of boat do you think you want?
    where will you be boating lake/river/ocean?
    will you be towing it alot/do you have the right truck to tow it?
    I would take a good look at these questions above and really figure out what you need VS. what you want. I wouldnt be in a rush to buy a new boat right now considering there are some really nice used boats on the market for great prices. try and negotiate while its raining like a mofo right before christmas. and the straight truth is the best boat is a freinds boat
    We've been boating with friends for years. Seams that when we ask to go for a ride or ski, they always have to do something else first, even when the boat has been sitting on the beach for hours. So...next year we want our own! had an 18' southwind 15 years ago, go mostly to the colorado river, Want a little higher sided 24'-26', got a 3500 silverado diesel to tow. ANy input is helpful, thanks

Froggystyle
    Short answer... there isn't a way to qualify it.
    The tests are honest, but you need to be good at reading between the lines. If you hear a lot of talk about equipment on the boat... the boat probably is unremarkable...
    The way I see it, if the mag spends more time talking about Dana hardware, Merc power, steering components, drives etc... then handling, performance, value or utility... they probably didn't have anything to talk about on those other criteria.
    Beware of qualified phrasing like "respectable" or "adequate" with regard to quality or performance. The market is so far down right now, you shouldn't have to settle in either of those areas.
    Lastly, spend the time comparing apples to apples if you can. Decide what kind of speed you want to run, what kind of performance you are looking for, or what sort of economy, utility, seating, rough water handling etc... you are looking for in the first place and use those as criteria... and don't veer from them. If you want it all... now is the time when you can get it for less than ever.
    Just my .02
    Wes

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast