Thread: steering question

raven
    i noticed the steering in my boat is a cable set up ,as most are. my question is.did anyone ever break a cable at high speed ? and what were the effects?

Running_on_Empty
    my dad's buddy broke a cable at a higher speed in a 69 rayson craft and ended up on the banks of the lake.....basically you have no control over where the boat goes

VDRIVERACING
    Recently, I was re-installing my rudder after its annual check up. A buddy of mine just put new cable in his boat, so I thought, what the heck... I have had the boat six years with the same cables.
    I unwound the cable from the steering quadrant and found the cable worn half way through where it made a sharp bend! Could have been like that for years; might have broke at the next race. Who knows, this material is really strong. BUT, doesn't--apparently--last forever!
    From now on, the cables are coming off every year for replacement. New cable was $65 (less than it costs to have the trailer bearings checked and packed every year). Live to learn... but, do learn!

Blown to the Bone
    Recently, I was re-installing my rudder after its annual check up. A buddy of mine just put new cable in his boat, so I thought, what the heck... I have had the boat six years with the same cables.
    I unwound the cable from the steering quadrant and found the cable worn half way through where it made a sharp bend! Could have been like that for years; might have broke at the next race. Who knows, this material is really strong. BUT, doesn't--apparently--last forever!
    From now on, the cables are coming off every year for replacement. New cable was $65 (less than it costs to have the trailer bearings checked and packed every year). Live to learn... but, do learn!
    take a rat tail file and make a large radius groove taking away the sharp corner that almost all quadrant's have, problem solved !

2manymustangs
    I used to work on machinery that wound a 1/8" steel cable up onto a hub, the cable would always fatigue right where it exits the sharp bend on the hub. By machining a radius where it threaded through the hub increased the life of the cable by a factor of five.

raven
    did anyone try hydrolic steering