Thread: Cam walk/Cam diven water pump

bubbletop409
    I am going to be building a BBC for my Cole project over the winter, and a question comes to my mind perhaps one of you could help me with. I am planning on running a roller cam, and need to know how you control cam walk when using a cam driven water pump. In an automotive application a button is used to ride inside the front cover, or in a Jesel application, shims are used, but how do you prevent cam walk in a marine application, with an aluminum front cover and a Magnaflow pump? Thanks for the help.

bubbletop409
    Bump to the top, anyone have an idea?

GofastRacer
    I ran both a hex drive and a flat type, the hex type I used shims but with the flat type I either had to make a spacer or shorten the drive whichever was the case, pretty simple!..

bubbletop409
    So if I understand you, the drive is working to limit cam movement. I thought that may be possible, but was unsure of the amount of pressure the cam could exert on the water pump. The automotive applications use a flat roller bearing leading me to believe there was a fair amount pf pressue being exerted. Thanks for the tip.

GofastRacer
    That is correct, there isn't really much pressure at all and I do the same with an injector pump no problems!..

bubbletop409
    Thanks GoFastRacer, I was hoping the answer would be that simple. So it's just a shim and measure operation till you get it right?

GofastRacer
    Thanks GoFastRacer, I was hoping the answer would be that simple. So it's just a shim and measure operation till you get it right?
    You got it!..

bubbletop409
    You got it!..
    THANKS AGAIN

GofastRacer
    THANKS AGAIN
    You're quite welcome!..