Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Truck project.....

DUCKY
    This is a truck that I have been collecting parts for now for over a year.
    I have gutted 4 trucks to get there, but assembly has begun....
    Basically what I will end up with is a crew cab, long bed Dodge 4x4 (late 80's type) with a 5.9 Cummins. I am only doing a 4" lift and 33's for now.....
    The frame, cab, and front axle are from are from a series of old USAF trucks. The frame is the second heaviest that Dodge ever produced (8" wide channel, 1/4" thick). The front axle is a mil spec Dana 60, which means that all the outer stuff (spindles, u-joints, brakes, etc...) are Dana 70. The rear end is a Dana 70 from my '91 diesel donor truck. I'll post more pics as construction commences....
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../SSPX00001.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../SSPX00021.JPG

Schiada Time
    Ducky- Shoot me a PM. I am the Editor of Street trucks and we have a title called Diesel world that I think will be very interested in this transplant and perhaps the finished project.
    travis

DUCKY
    PM Sent..... Thanks

Run_em_Hard
    You going to run the 12v cummins??? If so which year?

DUCKY
    The motor is a 12v rotary pump Cummins (intercooled) out of my '91 truck. The motor was tuned on by Merlon over here at Old School Garage, and the good ole G-tech pro said 272hp to the rear wheels, (138 before we started) and we estimate around 600 #ft of torque. It has an HX35 turbo on it now, but he is going to build me an HX40 hybrid when it goes in the new frame, and I rework my exhaust.

STV_Keith
    Project looks like fun. I know this is going to hurt, but can I make a suggestion? Dump the 91 motor and get one from a 96-98 12v/5-speed Dodge. Better engine with WAY more power potential. Even the 94-98 autos is a big step up from the old VE rotary pump. I know you'd be happier down the road.

full throttle
    I have a similar project. Got a 78 F250 crew-cab sb, I've had for a long time. Gonna yank the 460 I put in it 8 yrs ago and drop in an 01 HO Cummins I picked up. The Cummins came with a 5sp & xfer case. Also got a set of late model ford axles. Now I just need some time.

STV_Keith
    I'd love to put a Cummins in a Deuce and a half like this one for $3500! http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=91&t=441272
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...BB/6x60006.jpg

DUCKY
    If I had to buy a motor, I would buy a P-pump motor, but since I have the VE motor (with only 142k on it) it am stuck with it for the time being. It will get swapped out down the road....... The VE motor does do better on fuel though....

DUCKY
    I have a similar project. Got a 78 F250 crew-cab sb, I've had for a long time. Gonna yank the 460 I put in it 8 yrs ago and drop in an 01 HO Cummins I picked up. The Cummins came with a 5sp & xfer case. Also got a set of late model ford axles. Now I just need some time.
    There is a similar truck here in Havasu. It's a late 70's ext cab Ford, short bed, with a P-Stroke in it.....
    My friend Merlon has an '89 Suburban with a Cummins and a 6 speed in it, and has built two others for his customers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast