Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: out of control @ full speed...????

thehotrodguy
    Ok I will be the first to flat out say it....
    BULL$h!t
    Give me some of that stuff your on.
    78 in a 21 barge with logs.
    Gee golly mister, you must be right. I bet that old barge doesn't even do 40 with those logs on it. Probably not even a real rooster tail - here I thought I could fool the world by running an electric pump with a vertical discharge. So, if you don't mind enlightening the rest of the world by sharing some of your wisdom, tell me...
    WHY does the boat hook left?
    (ps - the secret to my speed is that my boat is really a v-drive)

Could be your cavitating, and losing thrust on the pump from lack of bowl pressure? Don't see any hardware hanging down, other than the ski loader. Whats the face of your impeller looking like, the condition of it, may help determine whats happening, if it's the pump. And yes the damaged fin can cause grief at your target speeds.
    My buddies got a 2oft Taylor BR, his wants to turn right, when he is alone in the boat, but when there is a passenger it's nice and straight. He does have an add-a-shoe installed, and that's most likely the cause, winter came too soon to do any more testing.

centerhill condor
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...=1194490331You mave have hook in the hul:idea:
    The other thing (I forgot to mention) is that the intake is slightly dmaged - a small chunk missing on the right side - like an inch long by 1/2 in tall...
    I like the missing chunks on the intake...at speed, especially as fast as your boat is going, little things make a big difference. The extra drag may only take over when you've got the right amount of gas, cross wind, etc.
    Also, you've got most of the hull out of the water at that time. So, it is reasonable to make a simple intake repair and try it.
    That thing really lets your know she's running...nice video.
    CC

TJS
    Hotrod,
    What tool are you using to measure your speed ? As others state, put the diverter down.
    T.J.

Longstr
    Anything sticking out of the bottom of the boat in the water causes drag. In your case you got one fin that water goes around it very smoothly, and another fin that it doesnt. Think if you flipped the boat upside down and put it in a wind tunnel how do you suppose the mangled fin would change wind compared to the straight one it would flow very smoothly over the straight one and not over the other, same concept in the water at high speeds.

I didn't state any guestimates on the power I'm making - and no easy dyno around here to find out. When I started in July with the vision of a "freshen up" of the 460 I had blown the head gaskets out of, things got a little out of hand, and now I have a pretty bad ass stroker motor. Build for driveability, not how much power, I asked for a pump-gas reliable 450-500 hp. For the relatively low budget (for a ford) and the neato-factor, I got the braggin rights around here about who has the most cubes, to my knowledge. Plus, my engine guy wanted to do a BBF stroker and I got lucky enough to benefit from his expertise, interest, and reduced labor rate. In my opinion, I got the best $3500 motor on the water. In my $1100 Hawaiian, I got a great boat, goes fast enough to beat my buddies, makes a nice noise, throws a flashy tail, and makes me happy to be an all-american redneck in a loud fast cheap boat guy.
    I'll get some more pics tomorrow in the sunshine, had a buddy take these today but their not great. Sorry if I took your message wrong, but reading between the lines leads me to believe you're disputing my claims of power, speed, or whatever - no sense asking for advice from those who have it if I'm going to bullshit about what setup I have.
    Thanks to all for the help - this is a great forum.
    THRG
    Hot Rod Guy I think you may have read too much "between the lines" I ask for the pics and more info with the sole intention of trying to help sort out your potentialy dangerous and frustrating problem, not embarass you! Admittedly IMO your reported speed vs the rest of the setup sounds high as do your long range goals of 80 plus ,however in my experience but not impossible.HP vs boat size and weight shape etc is everything when it come to performance in these boats . Lots of folks with small light boats with moderate HP struggle to get 70 to 75 mph!
    I belive this is a good forum and a great place to glean solid information and advise most all the folks here are willing to help . Good Luck Tom

Sleeper CP
    Hotrodguy,
    Your 520" is putting out a hell of a lot more than 500HP if it can push that 21' to nearly 80 mph.
    With that intake as jacked up as it is I can't believe that you couldn't figure out that it is the extra drag on the left hand side that makes the boat turn left. No shit it's going to turn left, that's the side you have the cutting brake on.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

Hotrodguy,
    Your 520" is putting out a hell of a lot more than 500HP if it can push that 21' to nearly 80 mph.
    I agree, but lets not for get that this is a very small and narrow 21 foot boat. It has no more freeboard than a 18 Southwind. It's not like he's getting that speed in a 20 Spectra or one of it's countless clones.
    And, if I remember right, it's a 21 in name only...if it was even advertised as a 21. For some reason I'm thinking it was sold as a 20. Long time ago.

Longstr
    Hot Rod Guy I think you may have read too much "between the lines" I ask for the pics and more info with the sole intention of trying to help sort out your potentialy dangerous and frustrating problem, not embarass you! Admittedly IMO your reported speed vs the rest of the setup sounds high as do your long range goals of 80 plus ,however in my experience but not impossible.HP vs boat size and weight shape etc is everything when it come to performance in these boats . Lots of folks with small light boats with moderate HP struggle to get 70 to 75 mph!
    I belive this is a good forum and a great place to glean solid information and advise most all the folks here are willing to help . Good Luck Tom
    I got a little more that 500 HP in my TX 19 and I am struggling to get out of the 70's havent got but a few hrs on the motor but that shows you that a light weight hull, new motor, new pump still gives greif to run 80+

Re reading this thread and observing the pic of the loader area it also appears (over and above the broken intake fin longstra mentioned ) that you have what looks like a "river racer" ramp loader grate (hard to see in the pic) if this is the case it (the loader itself) could be causing or aggravating the handling problems you express. The horizontal blades leading edges must be trimmed to the keel to make these work effectively and safely Tom

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast