Thread: outboard steering conversion

i have a 82 sanger hydro ski. im getting ready to do full resto on it. exelent hull good stringers. its the 19 ft with curved bottom. my question is. can i put outboard steering in it instead of inboard. if so what do i need to do it. how will boat perform and has anyone done it before. i dont want to screw the hull up.

Sangster
    What's the matter with the way it is?

old flat
    Does the term "Full Resto" imply a restoration, if so, the Sanger ski/lake hydros came with inboard steer and flatbottom props, so changing to outboard steer would not be a "resto";the curved bottom is the hydro with more rocker in the hull. Ski/lake hydros are nice units, drag hydros are also seen and used at the lake, there are other folks on the board that know a lot more than me, but I believe a change to outboard rudder needs a strut location change to get the tips of the cleaver prop to the edge of the transom, and make sure to add a blast plate cause most lake hydros don't have one, and you may even give it about and extra inch in length on the right side of the boat to help with that right sponson lift. Lastly, position, depth , and angle of these components will be dictated by amount of horsepower. Just my $.02
    STEVE

i never thought about all that . wow glad i asked. ill just leave it. why screw with a good thing right thanks guys

Racey
    Probably not worth the trouble unless you are going 100+.

old flat
    i never thought about all that . wow glad i asked. ill just leave it. why screw with a good thing right thanks guys Very true in my opinion. Should run very nice on the lake, with moderate power, but, if you need to go with a bunch of horsepower, or come out to the drags with us, and run fast, then by all means re-do the boat. But be sure to get all the facts to make it safe and right.
    STEVE