Thread: Static Timing - Help a Novice

Avenger 1975
    I had my 455 rebuilt - the guy said he would static time it, the motor would start when I was ready, just adjust the distributor enough once started to run smooth and break in the cam at 2000 rpm for 20 min. I am priming the engine first before starting.
    Looking at the engine, the timing mark is at 0 but the distributor rotor doesn't point to the former location of #1 plug wire. Does it matter where on the distributor #1 wire goes as long as the proper firing order is then followed? Do I put #1 wire to the spot the rotor is pointing?
    Any help would be appreciated, I'm learning as I go on this project.
    Dave

HighRoller
    Send a PM to InfoManiac,he'll hook you up.

oldphart
    number one can be any where on the cap. make sure your on TDC with number 1 piston, The timing mark on the crank is on 0, then istall the wires in the firing order.
    Hook up a timing light before starting, unhook and plug vacume advance if there, then start and set timing to 6 before tdc as soon as you can.

Avenger 1975
    Thanks for the replies. Old, that answers my question perfectly. The rebuilder cautioned me about not taking much time to get the timing right once started, just be sure of oil pressure, get the engine running smooth by ear, and get it up to 2000 rpm for the break in, the timing can be set later. Make sense?
    Another question - I unbolted the Berkeley, the engine will run without running the pump. How much water pressure does the engine want/need from the garden hose? Open it up full or just part way? I'm not re-hashing the whole "running a jet out of the water" topic, I've done the reading there, just was wondering how much water the engine alone needs. I have Hardin logs for exhaust.
    Again, thanks much for the help.

oldphart
    Dont turn the water on until the engine is running then turn it on half way or so unless you live somewhere with more than 30 lbs pressure. You want to get the timing right as soon as possible so yer not farting fire from retarded timing.Your builder told you right on cam breakin

hack job
    just because the pointer points to 0 deg dosen mean you are at TDC you could be 180 deg off. keep that in mind! and if you are 180 off then you will nevre get it too run! wink

Avenger 1975
    Thanks again for the advice, I hope to get it running in the morning if all goes well.