Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Poker Runs really that much fun???

new2cats
    Went to the Howard regatta (with our 28 Bullet) a few years back...did the inevitable poker run.....it was a bit boring! Are the well organized runs fun and if so why....just looking to find a niche activity to do with my 14 year old son and his cousin.....new DCB F-29 will be the rig.
    Thx

slowinhavasu
    The before and after parties are the best, meeting new people , hanging out on a lake you have never been on, would be fun....

DeltaSigBoater
    Never been in a Poker Run, but it is on the list of things to do with the new boat.
    I better get off ***boat and go back to work so I can afford a new boat... this waiting to win the lottery thing isn't going as I planned

I have been to a few "regattas" poker runs at Havasu with my friend and his boat. They are pretty boring, not to mention on a time table. Meet at the cove 10:00, phot0shoot 11:00, Lunch 12=1:30, Poker run 2 to 3:00 Banquet 7 to 9. I like doing at the river whatever I want to do when I want to do it. THe strict time table reminds me of work. I know it's the only way to control a big group, so we don't go anymore.

Havasu_Dreamin
    You don't need to stick the the schedule. If you do not make it to all of the stops you can collect the rest of your cards right before you turn them in.....

AZJD
    Went to the Howard regatta (with our 28 Bullet) a few years back...did the inevitable poker run.....it was a bit boring! Are the well organized runs fun and if so why....just looking to find a niche activity to do with my 14 year old son and his cousin.....new DCB F-29 will be the rig.
    Thx
    You want your son to love you forever? Take him to the sandbar and cut him loose.

new2cats
    I have been to a few "regattas" poker runs at Havasu with my friend and his boat. They are pretty boring, not to mention on a time table. Meet at the cove 10:00, phot0shoot 11:00, Lunch 12=1:30, Poker run 2 to 3:00 Banquet 7 to 9. I like doing at the river whatever I want to do when I want to do it. THe strict time table reminds me of work. I know it's the only way to control a big group, so we don't go anymore.
    This is pretty much how I felt about it.....also....some who have very little "close-range" boat experience, wanted it to be a race.....I am hoping that the more seasoned dudes with big-a$$ boats and East Coast hardware are more carfeul....DOUBT IT!!!!

new2cats
    You want your son to love you forever? Take him to the sandbar and cut him loose.
    Been doing this since he was 10.....always watch him like a hawk but let him, his cousin and buddies cruise the scene. I usually lay low about 200' back to swoop in if fights break out or other crazy-danger!!
    Saw a really unfortunate race related fight at the sandbar once...saddened my whole Family..some skinhead dude picking on the only black guy at the sandbar (something about him having a hot, REALLY white chick on his arm) ......got ugly fast with the final result being the skinhead was thrown onto his crappy nazi-rig and pushed into the current sans engines running......500 white dudes came to the support of the one dark dude....started off crappy, ended in a good lesson for my kids.
    Off subject, I know, but......

ClownRoyal
    More like the Reed bar. Went by there a couple of weeks ago. Reeds are about 4-6' high and almost cover the entire what was once the Sand bar.

spectras only
    Any activity gets boring after ten years , just get on with it !
    My son still likes to go , but he mentioned that next time just want to hang
    around without registering . I think he's sending the message that it's
    getting boring hanging around after the run :idea:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast