Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New stringers

HavasuBarney
    I just did a stringer job on a 1975 Cheetah. The exhaust tips leaked into the transom and rotted it. The water flowed into the stringers and rotted them out. It then traveled through the bilge and into the main stringer. Be sure to keep an eye on those below the water line points if entry.

New stringers and some blue webbing. These pics still show PVA(green tint) on the gel and I still had to open his exhaust holes.

Keith
    swwweeettt!

73SangerSuperJet
    What would that cost?
    Thanks
    Louis

beached 1
    Very nice work Barney.

HavasuBarney
    Thanks!
    What would that cost?That's a bit of a loaded question. It really depends on how much demo and clean-up that I have to do in there. A job like this would be easy to save some $$ by doing the grinding, removing the pump along with the major clean up.
    Ball park range would be $500 - $1,000.

Mohavekid
    Hey Barney, I noticed the stringers are not full length.
    I know there's been some debate on this issue here in the past, but what's your take on full length vs 1/2 stringers.
    Are full length really better? If so why?
    What are the problems associated with 1/2 stringers if any?
    Thanks

HavasuBarney
    Proper terminology might be, motor mounts.
    It's gonna depend on how your hull is set up, what you use it for and so forth.
    This particular boat has the hull supported by a center stringer running up from the "goal post", which holds the floor. The floor on this boat provides the majority of it's support though. It's also just a lake cruiser.
    I think full length stringers are a big plus, they provide a nice backbone and something to mount hardware to.
    Better...? Hard to say.

Phat_Kat
    man that's like the before and after on those acne treatment commercials. Great work man

1HOTGMCJET
    Hey Barney - nice job (as usual), but just curious - what did you end up doing with/about that center stringer that was hollow and what did you use for the stringers (wood type)? Thanks!

HavasuBarney
    1HOTGMCJET:
    Hey Barney - nice job (as usual), but just curious - what did you end up doing with/about that center stringer that was hollow and what did you use for the stringers (wood type)? Thanks! Thanks for the comments guys, I do my best to hook up the people that come from the boards.
    As far as that center stringer under the floor, the floor was still in great shape and bonded very good. The stringer was only rotted out about 4 inches or so and solid wood after that.
    I used a long chisel, prybar and a few other odds and ends to clean up the end of the stringer. Once I got all the bad stuff out, I packed the hollow section with a clean sawdust and resin mix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast