Thread: start up

waterfn
    How many guys do anything different before they start their motors the first time after winter, does anyone pull their plugs and w-d the cylinders or just crack it over?

uglystick
    I TRY TO START MY BOAT EVERY WEEK OR SO. IF IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE THE LAST START ,A MONTH OR MORE I JUST PULL THE COIL WIRE AND TURN IT OVER TILL I GET SOME PRESSURE IN IT . I'M NOT SURE IF THIS IS PROCEDURE OR NOT BUT THIS IS MY SECOND WINTER AND NO PROBLEMS YET. P.S. KEEP THE FUEL PUMP OFF TO OR IT WILL FLOOD.
    [ April 07, 2003, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: uglystick ]

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    it depends on how long it has sat. wd40 will do you no good. If it has been more than 6 months and you are trying to prime it with oil. simply mark the distributor and pull it out. put a long flat blade screwdriver in an electric drill. use a flashlight and shine it down into the hole and you should see the driveshaft for oil pump. simply line the screwdriver up in the groove of driveshaft. I usually put a piece of vacuum hose over the end to keep the screwdriver running true in the groove and pull the trigger. If you have an oil guage you will see it rise to 10 or 20 psi. run it like that until you see oil shooting out of the cam valleys. re-install distributor and crank it. You are achieving nothing by cutting off fuel and "spinning it over" if anything that will cause more damage. The idea is to get it pumping oil asap. The best thing to do is start it at least once a month during winter. If you are truly worried though. the ole drill trick will work fine and avoid the "dry start"

waterfn
    Thanks.