Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keep The Olds??

GM KILLER 5.0
    Hello,
    I have a Tahiti Torino (I think that's what it is) with a 455 BB Olds in it. Says rated to 365HP. I am pulling it out, because I don't know how long it's been since it's been gone through, and it started smoking last time out. I know nobody likes the BBO, but why is it? Oil problems is what I've heard?
    If I make the switch right now to BBC power, what do I need besides the motor and exhaust manifolds?? Dimensionally front to rear is a 455 and 454/427 close?
    Let me know your opinions.
    Thanks,
    Ron

maxwedge
    Search "olds 455" on here or try realoldspower.com, theres tons of info. My opinion: before you spend a ton of time and money swapping in something else, try to find out why its's smoking. Might be something simple like an intake gasket, in which case, fix it and/or leave it in there until it comes apart or it starts smoking so bad you can't stand it. If you want ultimate performace this is not your motor, however mine is still running fine and it's been in the boat for 31 years, supposedly only rebuilt once. I've been waiting for it to come apart based on everything I've read, but it never has yet. I've run it near WFO down the IL river from Peoria to near Starved rock and back which is probably 50 or more miles each way, no problems except it burned through a huge amount of gas$$.
    Oh yeah to switch to BBC you will also need motor mounts, a starter and possibly a PTO or driveshaft coupling depending on how yours is set up.

ck7684
    From what I understand, it's mainly the oiling problem, and perhaps a lack of aftermarket parts available. The oiling issues would mainly be a problem at extended running at higher RPMs...
    I dont have any personal experience with the Olds though, so...

Devilman
    From what I've read here & the couple guys I know that have an Olds, is that they can "run out" of oil being run wide open too long. The oil doesn't drain back to the oil pan from top of the engine or something to that effect. There are a few mods that can be done to help this, I just don't know exactly what they are. Taylorman, here on the boards, has a very strong running Oldsmobile in his Taylor. He pretty much ran the crap out of it last time I saw him & he hasn't had any problems that I know of..... Another friend of mine has a 455 in an Avenger just like mine, same thing, he doesn't cut it any slack & its still all in one piece.....

n8dawg
    I have a 455 in my boat. I say if you have the money to build a Chevy...GO FOR IT!!! You can usally pick up all the mounts and hardware you need from these forums or on ebay. Simply because its less a headache to deal with the Chevy. Yes an Olds will last forever but you have to baby it if its not set up right.

455Rocket
    From what I've read here & the couple guys I know that have an Olds, is that they can "run out" of oil
    It doesn't run out... it just pours out every orifice on the top end
    My advice is if you keep it, don't try to make some high performance monster out of it... just keep it stock. There are practically no HP parts for these things, and what's out there is expensive.
    But im still in "recovery" from spending too much on mine

Longstr
    Rob who runs the Taylor site has a hell of a 500 olds in his 76 Taylor, his runs 70 + MPH it can be done but very expensive to do.

pw_Tony
    But I thought you were a "GM Killer"?
    So in other words.... you'll blow up and Kill the Olds and the Chevy!

n8dawg
    It doesn't run out... it just pours out every orifice on the top end
    My advice is if you keep it, don't try to make some high performance monster out of it... just keep it stock. There are practically no HP parts for these things, and what's out there is expensive.
    But im still in "recovery" from spending too much on mine
    You Hater!!!

GM KILLER 5.0
    Thanks for the responses, keep them coming!!!!
    My screen name "GM KILLER 5.0" is reference to my Mustang. I have a 92 GT, that I have had a long time lic plate "GM KLR 50" (when it was a street car) It's a 10" tire car with a BBC and a liberty 5 speed, has run a best of 7.83@180mph!! Kind of funny my nickname for the last 10 years, and I run a BBC in my car!!! :jawdrop:
    Ron

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast