Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you get Veterans Day Off?:

Trailer Park Casanova
    Hope everyone enjoys their Veterans Day.. Hope it's a paid Holiday for you.
    We're leaving for the Dunes and Holiday travel, so probably won't be back to HB's for a long spell.
    For the 49th Aniv of D Day, some family members and a D day veteran friend went to Normandy Beach in France.
    I suggest if you love American History, do the same if you can afford to.
    Excellent museums, good food, we found the French locals no worse than people on the NE coast of Florida. Perhaps nicer.
    A friend Chick Chimingus, was with the Airborne and was parachuted behind the German lines the early morning before D day.
    93 days later he stabbed a guy in a card game dispute and ended up spending the wars duration in the brig.
    But,, that's another story.
    Chick had stories, as well as my uncle that was fresh outta Mining School in New Mexico, and was a Lieutenant leading an Army infantry unit on the 4th wave in.
    Most touching things to see are the museums, the cemeterys both Allied and German.
    We found a small French locals chapel that was Norman Rockwell stunning.
    Every morning, three 9 year old French school girls, dressed in very French old-culture uniforms, stop off at the chapel, and by candlelite read the names of several American soldiers killed in combat.
    This ritual has been daily since the troops moved East off the beach in '44.
    We rented a WWII jeep, that was restor'd with a syncromesh tranny (an option until the 1960's and a BFD), and we toured the whole battlefront.
    You can still rent WW2 jeeps, and also new jeeps as well. The WWII jeeps, though in good maintenance, are still clunky and slow so hold that thought.
    The French love American jeeps and cars BTW.
    ----
    My first taste of combat was the battle of Hue City. A year earlier I was sitting in a high school lunch area in Calif area eating a sandwitch.
    Cold Shock for a 18 year old kid.
    I was with the Marine Engineers, and was thus attached and moved around alot to various other Marine Combat units that needed bulldozers, earthmovers and cranes,, and most of all, water purification.
    Everyone in the Marines is a rifleman first. Your job speciality is a distant second task.
    The Marines get lots of the credit for the battle of Hue, as they should. The Army 12th and 7th regiments fought there too I'd like to add.
    I hope my kids never, ever see combat, nor any of you or your children.
    I'll be taking a neighbor girl, at her request, whose brother was killed in the Mekong Delta, back to visit the site he died.
    He was 19 years 6 months old, drafted, in the Army 9 months and 12 days, in country for 6 months and 12 days, and his unit came under attack while on approach to an LZ, which is now a Golf Course.
    OK,, off to the dunes and Holiday adventures.
    Until next summer,,
    Have a good Veterans Day, and good Thanksgiving, and Holiday Season,,

Moneypitt
    In the 37 years since my discharge I have NEVER had a paid day off for Veterans day. The government offices are closed, the banks are closed, no mail delivery, etc etc.......I think it should be a law, if you are a Veteran you get the day off with pay, if not a Veteran, you work............MP

502 JET
    You don't?
    I work for municipal government, we get 14 PAID holidays a year.

Moneypitt
    You don't?
    I work for municipal government, we get 14 PAID holidays a year.
    Are you a Vet?
    And we wonder why there is so much waste in government.....14 days off, then there is all that re training:sqeyes: ..............Our tax dollars at work:idea: ........ha .......MP

Caribbean Jet
    No but all of my customers do...Hmmmmmmmmm

raff
    No, we work all the holiday but we do pay our drivers for it.

DelawareDave
    In the 37 years since my discharge I have NEVER had a paid day off for Veterans day. The government offices are closed, the banks are closed, no mail delivery, etc etc.......I think it should be a law, if you are a Veteran you get the day off with pay, if not a Veteran, you work............MP
    Only 36 1/2 yrs for me but I too have never had a paid day off for Veteran's Day. Yet the punk-azz snot-nosed "officeboy" where I work gets numerous days off, with pay, to play golf .

RitcheyRch
    No, but thought would since work on government property.

ahhell
    Gotta work ... Cant close a hospital....not a vet but I believe that if you are you should get a day off
    Thanks Vets!

502 JET
    Are you a Vet?
    And we wonder why there is so much waste in government.....14 days off, then there is all that re training:sqeyes: ..............Our tax dollars at work:idea: ........ha .......MP
    NO...not a vet....I work with several though...If that counts..
    I've had my job for the past 17 years. I may not make a lot of money........But I get 15 sick days, 5 personal days and 25 vacation days plus the 14 paid holidays. Oh and I don't pay for medical ins.!:jawdrop:
    We usually don't get overtime unless it snows. When it does I take comp-time instead of the pay. (time and a half, double time on Sundays, and double time and the days pay on holidays).
    After last winter I had a 120 hrs of comp time to burn.
    You can count the full weeks I put in a year on your fingers.:jawdrop:
    Next contract we gotta work on getting the Jewish holidays like the school teachers and kids get.:devil:
    How many of them are Jewish?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast