Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching my daughter to drive...

Outnumbered

My dad taught me how to drive a stick shift at age 12. I promised my girl I would take her out after her 12th birthday. Well, we went out today and she did pretty well (it was an auto though). Only had to grab the e-brake once to save clipping the curb
    We went cruising on some new streets with no cars and no homes just so you know that nobody was in danger except for me
    When did you learn to drive?

DeltaSigBoater
    About the same age my grandpa had a car lot on Beach Blvd. Just moved cars around the lot. Only got to drive on the streets at the lake, until I got my learners permit at 15

IMPATIENT 1
    started driving to the store at 13. when i was 14 my dad got his hand pulled into a square bailer, i saw and pulled him out of it(cracked his vertebra pulling so hard), so i got him into the truck , drove 100+mph to the hospital 20miles away, by the time i got there i had 5patrol cars chasing me and when i pulled in the e.r. unloading spot, they jumped out with guns drawn they tried to take the ability to get my licence at 16 and make me wait till i was 18, the judge laughed at the lawyer and told him he didn't have time for this, and told my dad he was a lucky, lucky man and good job teaching his son how to drive i got my hardship license and started driving my little 70 or 80cc yamaha yzf to school at 14 started driving to high school on the 1st day freshman yr., @15.got my license at 16

DSW
    My dad taught me how to drive a stick in this: http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1195/market1nl1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
    His 1939 Chevy. It was a 4 speed with a granny low 1st. And it was before they knew what syncro's were. Lets just say there was lots of grinding...

CampbellCarl
    Dad's foreman had a 60 something Dodge P/U with an Alaskan camper. He took me to Hollywood Park (horserace track) on a mid-week and turned me loose. I was maybe 12 yo and had acres of asphault (prolly got up to 35 mph!). He showed me and made me parallel park next to the tree curbs. Thought I was hot shiat! Also did lots of launch ramp runs with Dad's cab-over camper and whatever boat the family had......Glaspar, Mark Twain etc.
    I guess my memory is better than I remember!
    CC

shueman
    Dad's foreman had a 60 something Dodge P/U with an Alaskan camper. He took me to Hollywood Park (horserace track) on a mid-week and turned me loose. I was maybe 12 yo and had acres of asphault (prolly got up to 35 mph!). He showed me and made me parallel park next to the tree curbs. Thought I was hot shiat! Also did lots of launch ramp runs with Dad's cab-over camper and whatever boat the family had......Glaspar, Mark Twain etc.
    I guess my memory is better than I remember!
    CC
    Same here....Santa Anita....

75 spectra V-drive
    Dads 78 CJ7( 304 3 speed ) I was 12 dad was hammerd. drove 2 miles on city streets then private road for 5 miles. One of the best nights of my life

photo chick
    I started driving when I was 12, we had a ranch back in Sand Canyon. My step dad would let me drive as soon as we were off the pavement. We went out there everyday before school to feed the animals so I got to drive a lot.

Kindsvater Flat
    Been running around in pickups, tractors, etc... since I was 8. My son has been doing the same. Sure in nice living on a farm.

Outnumbered
    Great stories I think it is good to learn young. You never know when it may come in handy or save a life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast