Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to find engine hoist?

tbcseod
    Harbor freight or I got one off craigslist for 30 bucks :sqeyes:
    Later I bought a electric winch from Harbor Freight and fastened it to a steel beam and set it in the garage rafters, winch was like 40.00 or so........ now I just back in, bolt the chain onto the heads and lift out then drive forward. Then I lower the motor down and bolt it to my stand.
    ~T
    PS I sold the hoist I got from Craigs, I was asking 40.00 but the guy that came to get it wanted to give me 50.00 because "it was worth atleast that to him"....
    http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6871315

obnoxious001
    niiice! thanx alot, i like that price...what would i use from that hook to hook up the block? chains? does anyone have a pic of that?
    Reid
    You can use a piece of good chain, diagonally across the engine. I imagine there are some bolt holes in the ends of the Ford cylinder heads, use good quality bolts and flat washers to make sure you don't have a disaster.

DelawareDave
    If you wasn't so far away I'd loan you mine.

I think Harbor Freight has a sale on them right now ($99.00)
    Regular price is $150

u-haul used to rent them ... like $20 or so and you don't have to store them, try them or another rental yard.

obnoxious001
    I think Harbor Freight has a sale on them right now ($99.00)
    Regular price is $150
    The one they put on sale for $99 is the lighter one,, 1 ton max rating. By the time you extend it to pull an engine from a boat, it may be a little marginal for the weight load I think. My 2 ton HF model is only rated at 1/2 ton at full extension. Easier to check before you buy it.

The one they put on sale for $99 is the lighter one,, 1 ton max rating. By the time you extend it to pull an engine from a boat, it may be a little marginal for the weight load I think. My 2 ton HF model is only rated at 1/2 ton at full extension. Easier to check before you buy it.
    I'll second this advice. The 2-ton gives a longer reach and higher lift-over without pushing the weight rating. That model is usually on sale for about $145. I picked one up on sale and had a 20% off coupon on top of that.
    Of course if I was only going to be doing one engine, I'd either borrow or rent a hoist before buying.

You are right. That's the picker I bought and I had to extend it for a jet boat. I also have used the hoist (bought from Harbor Frieght as well) and it worked really good too. The hoist used a lot less muscle than I thought it would require.

The one they put on sale for $99 is the lighter one,, 1 ton max rating.
    By the time you extend it to pull an engine from a boat, it may be a little marginal for the weight load
    I think. My 2 ton HF model is only rated at 1/2 ton at full extension. Easier to check before you buy it.
    Sorry I just glanced at the advertisement. Didn't scrutinize or read the small print since I've already got one.
    The guys are right or course. You're going to want the two ton.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast