Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Old Carpet Adhesive-What to Use?

cyclone
    hey tried sanding the adhesive off of the inside of my hull where the old carpet was at and its taking forever. Can someone recommend some type of stripper that can just wipe on and off without hurting the gel? thanks in advance!

HBjet
    NO! Get to work you lazy ass and do it yourself....haha!
    Didn't someone say Gasoline worked before?
    HBjet

diggler
    Gasoline worked, but it starts to destroy the fiberglass as it is absorbed into the substrate.
    I just replaced my carpet about two weeks ago and had to get up the old adhesive. Here's what I did...
    Get a hand-held angle grinder. (A Dewalt or something like that with a 4.5-5" disc)
    Buy a sanding attachment for it and the discs. I used 50 grit sanding discs.
    This takes it off like no-one's business. However, it does leave little grooves and indentations on the floor. No biggie if you're just going to go ahead and lay new carpet down anyways.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    ACETONE WORKS WELL, BUT LIKE GAS IN THE LONG RUN NO GOOD FOR THE FIBER GLASS. ANOTHER THING THAT REALLY WORKS WELL BUT IS EXPENSIVE IS WHAT OUR SIGN MAKER USES HERE AT THE MARINA. IT'S WATER BASED AND REMOVES THE ADHESIVE REALLY QUICK. IT'S CALLED "GRAFX GONE", TO BE GOTTEN AT A PLACE THAT DOES VYNAL SIGNS. BY COATINGS CORP, ISLE OF PALMS S CAROLINA/888-253-2778, 843-886-0094/WWW.CLEARSTARCORP.COM. HOPES THIS HELPS, WOW MAYBE I'LL FINALLY GET SOME STARS...BILL.

hack job
    THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER:
    ACETONE WORKS WELL, BUT LIKE GAS IN THE LONG RUN NO GOOD FOR THE FIBER GLASS. ANOTHER THING THAT REALLY WORKS WELL BUT IS EXPENSIVE IS WHAT OUR SIGN MAKER USES HERE AT THE MARINA. IT'S WATER BASED AND REMOVES THE ADHESIVE REALLY QUICK. IT'S CALLED "GRAFX GONE", TO BE GOTTEN AT A PLACE THAT DOES VYNAL SIGNS. BY COATINGS CORP, ISLE OF PALMS S CAROLINA/888-253-2778, 843-886-0094/WWW.CLEARSTARCORP.COM. HOPES THIS HELPS, WOW MAYBE I'LL FINALLY GET SOME STARS...BILL. iam going to go with the acetone

nitro557
    acetone but delute it with ppg dx330 we do it to 5 gallons of the acetone to 2 gallons of the ppg works great

HavasuDreamin'
    I have had good success with a scraper/razor blade. It gets 90% of it out, then let the rest soak in acetone and use the scraper some more. Not the easiest job.
    [ March 07, 2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

bordsmnj
    what about a citrus based solvent?

Johnwithjm
    Acetone works well but you will still need to scrape it off. Have fun

cyclone
    i bought a gallon of Goop Off and it worked nicely. I almost puked from the smell, but that was a minor drawback. maybe the coors had something to do with it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast