Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all EFI Guru's, will an o2 sensor work...

FSTFBDY
    Then you should have stated it that way. Im also a master tech with all my ASE's (useless paper if you ask me.) and A aeronautical engineer along with my A&P. So I know the function/use of o2's.
    You said it yourself All the cars at your dearlership use wb o2's. if your running EFI the easiest way to tune is with a wide band and EGT probes.
    Why not just build your MS tune without the water injection. and then put it back on. or you could always go Alpha-N which uses RPM, temperature and TPS only.
    So the water acts as a baffle? why not just run some type of collector baffle like summit sells. And Have the Chrome headers ceramic coated on the inside.
    I own a Coating Company and do Chrome plating, Ceramic and Thermal Coatings. Polishing and Power Coating. I ceramic coat a Ton of Harley Davidson pipes so the chrome doesn't turn blue.
    EDIT
    : Just as BDMar said above. I was in the middle of typing the above and had to walk away from my laptop for a few minutes.
    BTW nice intake in your Av. whos is it?

FSTFBDY, I was simply trying to let the thread starter know that not being able to use an O2 sensor would not prohibit the use of EFI. Period.
    Re-read what I said regarding the headers. Water + baffles are pretty much required if you want the LEOs to leave you alone. Most LEOs seem to think that water provides muffling even though it is primarily for cooling the pipes. This goes back several decades........... Most lakes here in NorCal check for baffles before allowing you to launch. If you have baffles but decide to run without water injection, you will be far more likely to be stopped by the Law.

FSTFBDY
    Re-read what I said regarding the headers. Water + baffles are pretty much required if you want the LEOs to leave you alone. Most LEOs seem to think that water provides muffling even though it is primarily for cooling the pipes. This goes back several decades........... Most lakes here in NorCal check for baffles before allowing you to launch. If you have baffles but decide to run without water injection, you will be far more likely to be stopped by the Law.
    So its not MADATORY you have water injection, nor really needed but to cool the pipes to keep the chrome on? and to keep the LEOs (boat lingo for NorCal) for cops?? Im on the East Coast never heard LEOs before.

Yes, LEO = Law Enforcement Officer. Term covers sheriffs, Coast Guard, rangers, local cops, etc. Pretty much whoever has responsibilty for enforcment on a given body of water(or land, for that matter).
    It is not mandatory by law for OT headers to have water injection. The problem is that the LEOs tend to think it is, or at least they equate "no water" with "too loud" or "no muffling". The requirement is for a full time muffling system. Regardless, neither water nor baffles will meet the db levels in the law, if tested. Running water injection at least reduces the odds of getting stopped and tested.
    Enough thread-jacking. Need to get back to the EFI/O2 sensor topic.

FSTFBDY
    LEO... (Duuuhh, smacks myself in the forehead)
    Interesting. last Hi-jack question then. Twin Turbo setups cant run water injection so Id assume they would get hassled more. I know turbos quiet the exh down some what do they do?
    ok back on topic. Id get your base tune down with No water and WB02. Then go from there with just a Alpha N setup.

JAY4SPEED
    LEO... (Duuuhh, smacks myself in the forehead)
    Interesting. last Hi-jack question then. Twin Turbo setups cant run water injection so Id assume they would get hassled more. I know turbos quiet the exh down some what do they do?
    ok back on topic. Id get your base tune down with No water and WB02. Then go from there with just a Alpha N setup.
    It's not that easy, you can't just "turn off the water" and do a base tune. Marine water injected headers add some additional obstacles like weep holes just as Jetaholic stated in post #6 that will cause a false lean. Take care of that issue then you can do a base tune with O2s. This may require 2 sets of headers, one set sealed for closed loop O2 use and one set for open loop / water injection use.
    Budweiser, The main reason why O2s and water injection don't mix is that the O2 uses an internal heating element to get the O2 sensor up to temp fast so that it can do it's switching functions and get to operating range more quickly. When water is brought into contact with that heating element, it shatters from sharp decrease in temp.
    Jay

Being that turbos are less "high profile" than the OT headers, they'd probably be a little less of a target. By the letter of the law though, they still need full time mufflers and I doubt that too many cops will buy into the "rotary muffler" explanation.

Budweiser
    I plan on doing most of my boating on the Delta and the Sacramento River, any idea what the noise restrictions are here. I'm not opposed to running dry, the headers are already blued anyway. And I think I'm going to get them cermachromed.
    I think you guys have covered everything I wanted to know, and then some. Anyone using, or know someone who is using the MegaSquirt system?

fc-pilot
    I have wanted to play with the Megasquirt but have not had the chance yet. I was planning on getting acquainted with it on a street type engine before I would put it on something big.
    Paul

FSTFBDY
    I know a few people who run MS in cars and like it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast