Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Cam Problem...

superV
    OK as always shit happens and 15 sec after firing my used motor the cam broke right at the timming gear.Im not sure way or how this could happen but the old cam gear was missing most of is theeth and may have fatigue the cam. I have inspected the rest of the motor and all appears to be ok. My problem is after tearing down the top end to remove the cam it will not come out? I have look over everthing many time to make sure its not being blocked and can not see anything. The cam will move back and forth about a 1/4" (end play) matbey the reson it failed? So do you guys think it wore a grove in the bearing? How do you set end play the manual I have (haynes) suck and it not very helpful in addition I have sold the boat and need to get it back together by the weekend.(stress)BTW is it possible the new gear I put on had something to do with this? IT a 1972 gear and I only change the cam gear and not the crank due to it being the same as the one on my junk motor the cam gear came from. cry burningm

Blown 472
    Did you take the plate off the block from behind the cam sprocket?? you have all the lifters out?? the end play is set by the back of the cam sprocket and the plate that bolts to the front of the block, it holds the cam and gives it a little bit of float.

drbones
    Not sure what engine you have or type of fuel pump...chevy? ...make sure you removed the mechanical fuel pump..
    been there done that

superV
    Everything is removed including lifter push rods and retainer on block?
    MOtor is a 1978 Ford 460.
    [ September 17, 2003, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: superV ]

Blown 472
    superV:
    MOtor is a 1978 Ford 460. There is a plate with two 1/4-20 bolts that bolts to the front of the block behind the cam gear.

superV
    Blown 472:
    superV:
    MOtor is a 1978 Ford 460. There is a plate with two 1/4-20 bolts that bolts to the front of the block behind the cam gear. The plate is off it was broke when I took it off!

Blown 472
    Then pop that cam out, nothing else holding it in, use a screwdriver thru one of drain back holes in the valley and pop it out.

superV
    Blown 472:
    Then pop that cam out, nothing else holding it in, use a screwdriver thru one of drain back holes in the valley and pop it out. Thats the plan I just wanted to make sure because I have never had one not just come out.I just did not wont to **** it up more! wink
    Thanks Blown your always the first to help!

Blown 472
    I have had them kinda stick give it a little pop and should come right out.
    You are welcome.

superV
    10-4 Ill let you know how it goes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast