Thread: Price of methanol

cdnguitarsnboats
    Hi guys,
    I'm doing a little bit of research into what it might be like to live with an alcohol boat. I'm having a bit of a hard time getting any info on how much methanol costs per drum.
    I've heard some guys on the board mention in passing prices between $70 - 80 /drum. The cheapest I've seen it advertised is $110, but Louisiana is a little far from Mass. Oh, and the VP Fuels guy in Montreal (home) will graciously sell it to me for, get this, $330 CDN/drum. And no, Canada does not use the peso or lira as the basis for its monetary system.
    So, what do you pay, and where do you get it from?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Boozer
    cdnguitarsnboats:
    Hi guys,
    I'm doing a little bit of research into what it might be like to live with an alcohol boat. I'm having a bit of a hard time getting any info on how much methanol costs per drum.
    I've heard some guys on the board mention in passing prices between $70 - 80 /drum. The cheapest I've seen it advertised is $110, but Louisiana is a little far from Mass. Oh, and the VP Fuels guy in Montreal (home) will graciously sell it to me for, get this, $330 CDN/drum. And no, Canada does not use the peso or lira as the basis for its monetary system.
    So, what do you pay, and where do you get it from?
    Thanks,
    Jim I toyed with the idea of running methanol in my car. I had at the time a local fuel supplier that offered $40 a drum. I didn't do it though because the thought of having a fire in the car that can not be seen by the human eye was a very scary one.
    The prices you are getting are coming from what I would assume performance stores. At least that's the only way I can see why you're getting such high prices quoted to you. Am I right? Check with commercial fuel suppliers and see what they have to offer you. The company that I was dealing with out here is called Duggans.

Dog
    The price goes up and down quiet often.
    At the beggining of the season it was around $70 i believe. Last i heard it was a little over a hundred dollars a barrel.

cdnguitarsnboats
    I tried drag strips and a couple of race fuel suppliers. Actually, the price varies between $160 - 200 per drum. Those are direct quotes I received today.
    The only commercial fuel suppliers around here are home heating oil places, so I haven't had any luck yet. Ever try asking home heating guys about where to find methanol?
    I just can't believe that there would be this much disparity between what you guys get, and what I can find. If it was 80 - 100 bucks per drum, I might consider running alcohol, but at what I'm seeing, there's just no way.
    Any further ideas?
    Thanks,
    Jim