Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning closed bow into open bow?

wright27
    I have a Advantage 20.5 classic closed bow. Any idea on what the cost to convert it to an open bow, and who would be the best to do the work?:jawdrop:

Cas
    do it yourself, it's really not as hard as you may think.
    All you need to do is-
    1. mark off where you want the opening
    2. Real important to install a couple of temporary supports to each side of where the walkway will be.
    3. start cutting with a sawzall or a scroll saw.
    4. once the opening is cut, cut and fit plywood bulkheads and glass them in.
    5. use some cardboard tubes (like the ones inside Christmas paper but thicker) and glass those under the bow where the opening is cut.
    You can now either build your own seat frames/bulkhead covers or bring it somewhere to have done. The upholstery will cover all the cuts.

A couple other things to consider.
    Can you deal with losing the majority of your storage space?
    Don't cut your hull because you like the idea of being able to carry more people. Maybe being 2 feet longer than my boat might make a difference, but I don't drive on plane with anyone seated up front.
    The best part about an open bow? Walking into the boat through the bow instead of over the gunnels or the deck.
    Just my .02

Cas
    A couple other things to consider.
    Can you deal with losing the majority of your storage space?
    Don't cut your hull because you like the idea of being able to carry more people. Maybe being 2 feet longer than my boat might make a difference, but I don't drive on plane with anyone seated up front.
    The best part about an open bow? Walking into the boat through the bow instead of over the gunnels or the deck.
    Just my .02
    ditto that! I'm sure not fond of the lack of storage....roost and I have darn near the same hull.

wright27
    Life jackets, anchor, bumpers, and ropes is about all I keep in this boat. I like to use it for the river. Never ski or wakeboard behind it. My wife and I have 4 kids and could use more butt space.

Cas
    If you need to have someone else do it, there's one place that many can attest to and that's SMOOTH AS GLASS 1-209-869-3545, talk to Jeff. He also uses a great upholstery shop

pw_Tony
    I would think with a 20.5 boat there would still be plenty of storage for stuff.
    On my 20' Spectra Open bow I have more than enough room for everything, and that's 3 coolers, all the chairs and ez-ups and what have you. I still sometimes I take a nap when it's empty under the deck

speedymopars
    I know I looked into having my 21 foot Cheyenne cut open, decided to leave it closed. It was 2-3K to have a shop do it, but at the end, I decided I wanted to be able to lay down under the deck, while the wife sunbathes on the top.

Life jackets, anchor, bumpers, and ropes is about all I keep in this boat. I like to use it for the river. Never ski or wakeboard behind it. My wife and I have 4 kids and could use more butt space.
    That's kinda my point. Unless you have seating for 6 BEFORE the bow seating, you may be better off with a different seating arrangement, or different boat. Putting kids in the bow seems like a fun idea, but it can be dangerous! It only takes hitting a wake the wrong way and you'll know exactly what I mean.

76 Bonneville
    I also have a 20.5 Advantage and they are much shallower than a Spectra or Cheyenne. When my kids were younger I thought about doing the same thing. At that time Advantage was still in Anaheim and I talked to Harry about it. He said they would also lay some more glass in the bow area. The open bow boats dont have the benefit of the deck for rigidity, kind of like a car, hard top vs convertable. Never did cut the deck out and glad I didnt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast