Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turning closed bow into open bow?

wright27
    That's kinda my point. Unless you have seating for 6 BEFORE the bow seating, you may be better off with a different seating arrangement, or different boat. Putting kids in the bow seems like a fun idea, but it can be dangerous! It only takes hitting a wake the wrong way and you'll know exactly what I mean.
    Boat seats 5, I was thinking about putting my wife up front and trying to hit a wake the wrong way.

wright27
    I also have a 20.5 Advantage and they are much shallower than a Spectra or Cheyenne. When my kids were younger I thought about doing the same thing. At that time Advantage was still in Anaheim and I talked to Harry about it. He said they would also lay some more glass in the bow area. The open bow boats dont have the benefit of the deck for rigidity, kind of like a car, hard top vs convertable. Never did cut the deck out and glad I didnt.
    Very nice boat. You have a different seating than me. I have the engine cover all the way across the back with a bench in front of it.

76 Bonneville
    I see your dilemma family of 6, seating for 5. I'd say somebody better start wakeboarding or tubing.

The 20.5 makes and excellent open bow and we probably did more open than closed back in the 80's at Advantage. Very popular package.
    The storage area you'll end up with is pretty nice. If I remember right, on either side of the walk through, between the two bulkheads will be 36 inches deep (front to rear), lots of room for all kinds of crap.
    The most important thing to do is to make some little braces that go between the hull and what's left of the deck, one maybe every 18 inches or so. This will help spread any load that might occur if someone steps on that part of the boat gettin in or out.
    Contray to what 76 Bonneville says, we did NOT add any more glass to the boat if it was going to be an open bow. But they are much more rigid than a closed bow version, if done corectly like we did at Advantage. With the addition of the additional bulkheads they're like a tank. Instead of the traditional one bulkhead running aacross the boat in a hard deck, there are 6 in the 20.5 open bow.
    Good choice IMHO. A great addition to the boat if you need a little more room.

Cruiser 509
    I have an open bow Carrera 202xr. I love the extra seating and you can store your Coast guard approved orange (hopefully never used) vests under the front seats. In rough Water you can have an adult ride in the front and it will ride smoother. If you are cruisinng it will seem to use more gas and go slower as well.
    This season I had the seat bottoms of my boat redone at Martinez Marine Upholstery in Norco. While I was there I saw a boat being converted to open Bow. They said that they do it regularly and it runs between $2000 & $2500. That included cushions, cutting, and reinforcing. They had new and used boats there. I am no expert but they sure looked like they knew what they were doing. If you call ask for Eddy.
    Here is their info:
    Martinez Marine Interior
    1645 Industrial Ave
    Norco Ca 92680
    951 340 0171

wright27
    I see your dilemma family of 6, seating for 5. I'd say somebody better start wakeboarding or tubing.
    I have the wakeboard boat for that. I love the way a jet drives, so I will always own one or two, but it would be nice to fit the entire family.

76 Bonneville
    I'm sure old rigger is correct that the layup was no different in the open bow. I was just recalling a conversation with Harry, maybe it wasnt the normal way they were done in the shop, just his thoughts at the time. Off the subject but every time I speak of Harry I gotta say I miss that guy, he was one of the best.

He was a hell of a salesman.

junkyardhunter
    its dead in here :skull:

skelly
    Try West Coast Marine Interiors. (951) 453-0002. They just did my interior and made my open bow bigger. They were also soing a few closed bow to open bow conversions while I was there. Great work and done on time.
    http://www.westcoastmarineinteriors.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12