Thread: Drop or Not?

2coldout
    Are there any disadvantages in changing from a straight to a drop?
    can it make the boat slow/poor performance?

502 JET
    If you post some info about your boat when you ask a question it would make it easier for people to give you an answer.
    You can also try the search feature. Just type in a key word like (droop) and search. You will find a lot of info.

W.O.T
    A drop? Are you talking about a droop snoot compared to a straight snoot?

2coldout
    I have a 18' wriet with a fresh BBO and a berk c pump and want to change to a split bowl to add a drop with the intention to ride a bit more dry.

Devilman
    I did the same thing to my boat a little while back. Swapped from a C to a G & added a droop snoot. On my boat it helped, it's an 18' Avenger. According to what I have read here, not all boats react the same, so what works on mine may not work on yours. Getting some info from other Wreidt(sp?) owners may be the thing to do.

bp
    a droop lowers the thrust centerline of the boat, which causes the boat to ride a little higher at a slower speed than it does without one, which should result in less drag. less drag, boat should be quicker/faster.
    but... old berk droops have 7-9 degrees of "up" angle built into them. other's may differ, but what's important is knowing the current nozzle angle, compared to your keel angle, so that you have a baseline to go with. nozzle angle has a significant bearing on the ride of your boat. going from, say 4 degrees up angle to, say 13 degrees up angle can create other issues that could ultimately lead to the boat going slower, or other problems. if the change in up angle is too much (i.e., the boat doesn't handle well), you can add wedges between the g bowl flange and the droop, to wedge the droop down.

MWJSOne
    I would invest in a Place divirter this way you can adjust trim and
    never worry about weather you have the right droop

2coldout
    my boat has a place diverter on it that has a small horizontal fin on either side and a blue aluminium ring inside the end of the nozzle. I want to take the hydraulics off and find a manual trim and try to keep the same nozzle.
    I want to keep this "old school" kind of like a rat rod.
    I'm not sure if I can just swap bowls and add a drop or if I need to swap the whole pump?