Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JACUZZI ENERGIZER

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    Okay I know that jacuzzi is not the pump of choice. Does anyone have any experience with the energizer kit for yj pumps. I have a stainless impeller with bronze wear ring now. I think the impeller is B cut. Shimmed the pump to bring clearance between impeller and wear ring down to .003 (per Mike Ward of Mikes pump and speed in Houston suggestion) and added a loader grate. That made a huge difference in performance. Now the pump loads hard and max rpm is around 5000. My real question is what kind of gains can I expect from this energizer kit? They claim 20% but I don't know. I have a 19' bubble deck that weighs in at a hefty 1600lbs without motor. I have no idea about top speed now. I plan to buy gps monitor this summer. From what I hear speedo's are optimistic at best. Anyhow I have a 460 with d3ve-a2a heads with a huge cam. mallory dist. msd ignition. fixing to step up to performer rpm intake with holley 830 dp. I'm guessing motor makes around 400 ponies now. after intake and carb and headers hoping to make 450. Will the energizer really help or should I stick with the ole hot tub pump? I have had the boat for three years and have done nothing to pump but grease it. Anyone with insite on this bastard yj pump please post.
    Thanks,
    Kris

beached 1
    An energizer kit should give you approx 5 to 7 MPH gain. Not to mention the added advantage of being able to bolt on a Place Diverter.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    hence lies one of my problems. I have factory installed hydraulic trim now that I would have to lose if I went with the energizer. Of course then I could put on a droop snoot and a bunch of other goodies but 1700 clams is a lot of dough for 5 to 7 mph. Do you personally have experience with it? What impeller should I use with that kind of hp?

beached 1
    I don't have any personal exp with a YJ/enegizer kit, sorry. IMO 5 to 7 MPH is a very significant gain however.
    The trim tabs are nice option to have since you don't have a diverter. However, they slow you down. A Place div can give you the same options as far as adjusting your ride but wouldn't be "dragging" behind the boat.
    I'm no pump expert. I would have your shop determine what impeller you would run in an energized pump. I would guess you would be in the Alum B cut range though.

beached 1
    You might want to contact greg Shoemker. He used to post good info in here a while ago. I seem to remember him saying something about you can only put so much HP in a axial flow pump before you start having porpoising problems.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    sorry I guess I should clarify. I have a hydraulic place diverter factory installed. But I know with the energizer kit I have to change the bowl and the nozzle. The diverter that I have now will only toss about a 6 foot high rooster but definitely changes the way the boat rides. The boat rides fairly unwet at WOT. With about 80% of the boat out of the water. It also has a great hole shot. I can actually take most berkleys out of the hole but they usually catch me and leave me in the dust. I think the energizer basically turns the jacuzzi into a berk. I really wish I could talk to someone who has one or has seen the difference it makes. I'm not necessarily looking to set the lake speed record I just want a little more speed without getting raped for it. And I guess I should really wait for the pump to wear before I go tearing it up anyhow. What's that old saying If it ain't broke don't fix it.....I wonder if I could pawn some of the old stuff off on people if I went with energizer. How much does a stainless impeller go for these days and hydraulic place diverter?

beached 1
    Look up 77Charger and shoot him an email. He had a Golden eagle (Similar to the YJ) and had a MPD prepped energizer kit. He should be able to give you the skinny.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    thanks beached shot you a 5

beached 1
    Sent ya 5 right back.
    Check your PM

77charger
    I had a golden eagle on my old boat i added the energizer about 13 years ago recently had mpd rebuild,flow the bowl,detail the impeller.Also added a diverter.Even with out the work it is a big improvement over the standard yj.I was hitting 71 at 5200 rpm this past summer.(with the help of a NOS kit 100hp)Out of a little bbf429
    One thing though is that the nozzle that came with the kit sucked it always seemed to come loose so the steering would always get play i dont know if they improved it or not but with the place diverter it is very good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast